Friday, December 11, 2009

Admitting Defeat

I have to admit defeat, folks.  Earlier I wrote about how we would labor together in love this Christmas season, trying to bless others, despite having no money.  My cookie plans were big.  Too big, as it turns out.

Two years ago I had similar ideas about trying to "save" Christmas, by having my children make homemade crafts to send to relatives.  To my surprise, my children turned out to be just children, not factory workers.  It blew up in my face, and ended up being very stressful, and hard on my ADHD child.  He enjoyed it, sure enough, but it broke his routine too many days in a row.  When his symptoms worsen, I worsen as a parent--becoming more nervous, reactive, unpleasant.

Unfortunately, I had forgotten the turmoil of that Christmas.

Something really awful happened this morning to help jolt my memory.

Daddy went off to school (new schedule is Mon. and Fri. mornings), and I was scrambling, trying to get diapers changed, children into clothes, and breakfast made.

My oldest decided that, even though breakfast was minutes away, he wanted to play with the punch-out math curriculum money.  No, he didn't ask.  And he decided the living room floor--behind the couch and fully within baby's reach--was the place to dump it all out for his counting and figuring pleasure.

Did I mention it has many, many tiny pieces?

I was seriously irritated by this.  Recently, they've forgotten frequently that small. things. cannot. be. on. our. floors.  The dining room table is safe, unless a meal is forthcoming.

As I began helping to clean it up, while at the same time trying to hold my baby out of reach, my irritation grew.  I decided quickly that a spanking was in order.  I understand that children often forget safety rules, but there have been far too many similar instances lately.  Childish ways must be left behind, and that doesn't always happen without some painful reminders.

As I reached out to plant a spanking on his bottom, he moved aside quickly, and my baby ended up taking a slap on her face.

 I don't even have to tell you that I was horrified; I immediately burst into tears.  I scooped her up quickly, lavishing her with love and "I'm sorrys".

This is a horrible thing to have to read, but rest assured there isn't a mark on her.  And she got over it mighty quickly.  She had Mommy all to herself for about thirty minutes.  I wisely stayed away from the other children, while taking some time to calm down and evaluate things.

First off, we are too poor to be doing large-scale baking for relatives and church folk.  I should have seen this from the start.  Sometimes, Christmas just can't be about gifts--any gifts.  Not even cheaply-made ones involving mostly flour, sugar, butter, and the occasional Hershey's kiss.  My appointment for next week, to apply for winter heating help so our utilities don't get turned off due to non-payment, should have been my first clue that I was out of line with my baking plans.

And the second clue?  Maybe the fact that the mixer motor blew out the other day--complete with tiny fire and smoke?  Yeah, I catch on to clues rather slowly.

Secondly, I have to face the fact that Christmas may not include gift giving until my children are out of the home.  Even if my husband's computer technology classes land him a better job, it still won't take us much above the poverty level for our large family.  Tech guys start out with relatively small salaries.  And, my husband's attention deficit issues may make it harder for him to achieve success in the field.  It's hard not to face the fact that attention deficit issues are real handicaps.  This is probably less true for a single person who has more time to organize himself, or for someone with fewer children.  Medication comes with so many side effects, that the quality of life is diminished, even if general functionality seems to increase.

Thirdly, I have an ADHD son who can't take any change of routine without difficulty.  One or two days of baking, or one or two days of crafting, are more realistic for him.  And for me--considering the diapering and laundry and schooling.

I made some choices that are dictating how I live. One of them was marrying someone who didn't have the characteristics or the education/training of a hardy bread winner (Theology degree).  There are clear blessings in that, but nevertheless, it dictates that Christmas and all other areas of life have to be very simple.

There's no money for me to take the extra classes needed to obtain an Ohio teaching credential, and there are few to no jobs in the area anyway--even if I thought God was telling me to get into the workforce.  We see no indication that He is calling for that--at this time anyway.

Time to take back December.  And focus.  Focus.  Focus.

On what He has for me...for us...at Christmastime...and everyday.

His peace is available for our family, if we just focus on the tasks he's given us.  And not on those the world seems to be giving us--in terms of material living.

6 comments:

Margie said...

I am so sorry that you have had such a rough time of things today. I know there is nothing that I can say or do to make life a little easier right now, but know this...you are being prayed for my friend. I think of you and your sweet family daily in my prayers. You have my e-mail so let me know if there is anything I can do. Take care! Cyber-hugs coming your way!

Christine said...

Thank you, sweet Margie!

Paula said...

http://paulasponderings.typepad.com/paulas-ponderings/

(I'm going to try to sign in under Google instead of OpenID to avoid those silly numbers that keep coming up)

First of all, please don't feel defeated. We all have those bad days and when funds are extremely limited, it all seems magnified in a very big way.

I, too, married a man with a degree in Pastoral Ministry 27 years ago and he never did work in full-time ministry. God just didn't ever lead him there. He worked a job that was too many hours and too little pay for over 20 years and was then laid off with few transferrable skills at the age of 50. That is why we are struggling at this point in our lives trying to get an insurance business off the ground, and I must say being a salesman is not easy for him. He is very easygoing and laid back and does not drive for a sale at all costs as some salesmen do. Therefore, we will not be rolling in the dough anytime soon, I'm afraid. lol

It is all a learning and growth process. Give yourself permission to be less than stellar in your Christian walk and allow the Holy Spirit to gently carry you along.

And don't give in to thinking that you will never have anything better than you have now. Life has a way of changing as time moves along and we have no way of knowing what the future holds for us. You are in a season right now that will not be the same even five years from now.

Praying for you today, dear sister! Rest in His peace and be gentle on yourself.

Paula

Steph said...

Thinking about you!

Christine said...

Thank you so much for the encouragement, Paula and Steph!

Holly said...

Hugs to you!! Your honesty and humbleness are so beautiful & I have to say I could relate to some of what you wrote. What a unpredictable journey marriage & motherhood & homeschooling is. Praying for you-God is doing a beautiful work in you & your family. I wish I could help in some practical way, though. Do you ever wish you were neighbors with some of the wonderful people in "blogland?" I know I do! Holly