Sunday, January 3, 2010

hodpodge thoughts



All my one year olds carried things around, dropping them in this room or that, only to pick up something else and continue on.  I'm not kidding when I say that, though cute, it makes me feel like crying sometimes.  Feels like I'll never be free of clutter, no matter how hard I try.

A friend of ours came by last week, briefly, and must have seen the disarray--hard not to on that particular day.  He came by again on Friday and didn't come in, EVEN THOUGH THE HOUSE WAS CLEAN, AND I WAS HOPING TO REDEEM MYSELF!  Ugh!


My baby loves baskets.  Her older sister was the same way at this same age.  Now big sis pushes little sis around.  Oh, the squeals of delight that brings!  Happy days.  Crazy days!  I wouldn't have it any other way, despite my lamenting about the house.



This is what a one year old can do to a room in twenty minutes.  The other side is even worse.  God help me! I just want to sip cocoa after they go to bed!  And read.  Or write.  Not find homes for hundreds of stray items.  Anything but that.



Mary, "reading" a predictable book.  I love predictable books and pattern books!  They make even the most timid child feel like a reader.  Awesome!  (As Mary says.)


Beth joins in here (left corner).  Hard to get a focused picture of these two.  They love to move just as I want to snap.

Baby Beth likes to get on my lap while I read to the boys, and pretend to read by moving her index finger across the words.  It amazes me that at her age she understands this much about reading--that the words carry the message.



Forgive Daddy for his wild shirt.  Do you think I should lose it under the bed--or something?



Don't get the impression she sits still for very long--just for a couple pages at a time, so far.



To be so loved!  Peter and Mary especially love this little Missy.

Paul is often in his own little mathematical world, head in the clouds, adding numbers in his head (just for fun).  I need paper to add what his head easily manages.  I love it when he asks me if he's right--as though of course I would know, since I'm an adult.  He has little idea of how precocious his figuring is.  Hopefully, he stays humble.  Gifted kids (he probably is gifted) can get a big head sometimes, once they understand that others don't think like they do, or grasp things as easily.  I've seen them also try to play dumb, so people won't think they're weird.  Of course they want to fit in, like everyone else.  Being different can get lonely.

I pray that as with Peter's ADHD, we say the right things--showing them both they're fearfully and wonderfully made, by an awesome God, who has awesome plans for their lives.

Blessings to count:

- My husband, and Peter, Paul, Mary and Beth.  They sure color my days happy!

- The opportunity to heal, and leave behind a sense of isolation.

I wrote an e-mail to my pastor, running some things by him in relation to that relative I spoke of, who has a drinking problem.  He thought my "detachment with love" approach sounded quite good; we will meet to discuss the matter.  The Al Anon website really helped me understand my upbringing and my sense of isolation (isolation results from shame about family secrets).  If you have dealt with substance abuse in a parent, or sibling, or other relative close to you, I highly recommend visiting the site, even if you aren't sure the problem qualifies as alcoholism or addiction.  You need to make sure your decisions and your relationship patterns aren't still tied to unhealthy enabling patterns from the past.  Make sure you give it to God!  Christ's love can make up for insufficient parental love.   You'll still wish the past could have been different, but you won't be tied to it.


- Church today--wonderful sermon  


- Cuddling in bed this morning, with three of my sweeties, and with my Honey.  No greater start to the day than that.  Giggles and cuddles--the things kid-filled days are made of.


- Mrs. Piggle Wiggle stories, to delight my boys, and bring laughter to our nights


-The number of times Mary wants to hear The Three Little Pigs.  I love it that she has her favorites.  She'll soon be able to tell these tales herself!


- Mushrooms in my spaghetti sauce tonight, sautéed by my Honey.


- Beth is slowly getting her last two front teeth--making it a grand total of eight teeth now.  Do I have a good night's sleep to look forward to....soon?


- Tomorrow starts the first full day of school we've had since Christmas break started.  We've done one or two things every day for learning, but not full days.  My ADHD son's behavior has suffered (lack of routine).  Tomorrow will be a blessing for everyone!  Routine is a drug in itself--a very effective one.  Even the weekends can be difficult!

2 comments:

Katherine said...

LOL, my 13 year old is still leaving stuff around the house. It seems like it must be Murphy's Law that when your house is the messiest, you'll get a drop by visitor and when your house is the cleanest visitors never drop by. At least that is the way it happens with me.

Thanks so much for the information on the Alanon website. I have been looking it over and it has some useful information on it.

Have a great new year full of God's blessings, my friend.
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures and it is obvious how much they are loved and happy. Love the basket pics especially.:O)