Friday, April 30, 2010

color my world happy

The older three needed something to keep them busy while I nursed Beth down for her morning nap.  This guaranteed a mess, but I knew they would stay safe.  

Much to my delight, they painted a picture of happiness. Something to color my world.  

When your baby or toddler leaves you a substantial mess after every meal--after every activity for that matter--you begin to say to yourself, "What's one more mess?"  You squash the ever-ready "no", replacing it with "why not?".  

I will hang their mural in the playroom, to be looked at each time frustration threatens to trump patience.  Lately, that's hourly around here.

They actually gathered up all the paint brushes and put them in the sink in a cup of water.  All the paints were back in the box.  My sinful tongue began to make something of the carelessly screwed on caps (surely to result in spilled paint).  All those days of Proverbs--with an emphasis on the sinful tongue--stopped me short.  Instead, I said, "You boys are maturing nicely!  You took care of the paint brushes and paints without being asked!"

My boy flashed me a heart-melting, ear-to-ear smile, causing my Momma eyes to tear up.

There are a lot of reasons to become a mother--all very compelling.   But among the most important?  

Motherhood melts your heart, over and over again.  

A melted heart is a beautiful heart--a God-pleasing heart.



Earlier paintings, celebrating spring:









2 comments:

Andrea K. Van Ye said...

Thanks for sharing a bit of color -- it brightened my day as well!

Sandi said...

Budding artists I say!

so true....look for what they HAVE done and not what they haven't.
I easily forget this.

:o)