Monday, April 23, 2012

Thanking Him

Fine Art Print of Lady Fairbairn with her Children, 1864 by William Holman Hunt
Lady Fairbairn with her Children, 1864
William Holman Hunt


A thankful heart is not only the greatest virtue, but the parent of all the other virtues. - Cicero

Dear Father, thank you for...

...homemade pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread on days that feel like winter.

...girls making ice cream treats with their Playdoh set.

...encouraging words and prayers from you.

...wind howling fierce and a warm home to shelter us.

...finally, a real basketball hoop set-up for Paul, who enjoys the sport immensely.

...a scarf around my neck.

...siblings entertaining one another.

...cardinals and goldfinch at the feeder all day.

...imaginations and messes.

...mixed summer fruit, frozen and delicious from the freezer case at Walmart.

...baking with children.

...the comfort of prayer.

...the comfort of the Bible.

...the privilege of having a family to serve and love.

...a sweet, precious three-year-old to cuddle with.

...hair ribbons and two little girls to wear them.

...Kanga and Roo and Pooh and Eyore and Tigger and Piglet and Christopher Robin.

...Paul buying himself a Backgammon set from Goodwill and Daddy playing it with him.

...a husband with strength...spiritual, emotional, physical.

...you, dear reader.

...Peter taking a break from historical fiction to read and giggle over Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, which I read to them a couple years back. So tickled, he began reading it aloud to us. Then later, him asking, "Mommy, can you look on Amazon for used copies of the sequels for Mrs. Piggle Wiggle? I want to read them all."

Later in the day: "Mommy, do you remember the never-want-to-go-to-bedders cure? It's my favorite. They're in this movie theater and they go to sleep because they're so tired. At the end they beg their mom to let them go to bed at 8."

Grade level info. gathered from http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/book/hello-mrs-piggle-wiggle

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle
Interest Level: Grade 3 - Grade 5
Grade Level Equivalent: 4.5
Lexile® measure: 1070L





Mrs. Piggle Wiggle's Magic
Interest Level: Grade 3 - Grade 5
Grade Level Equivalent: 4.6
Lexile® measure: 1070L






Hello, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle
Interest Level: Grade 2 - Grade 5
Grade Level Equivalent: 4.6
Lexile® measure: 930L




Mrs. Piggle Wiggle's Farm
Interest Level: Grade 3 - Grade 5
Grade Level Equivalent: 4.7
Lexile® measure: 840L




Interest Level: Grade 3 - Grade 5
Grade Level Equivalent: 5.6
Lexile® measure: 870L

...all things Pooh Bear, in The Complete Tales of Winnie-the-Pooh

Front Cover

7 comments:

Terri H said...

Oh we love Mrs. Piggle Wiggle! I bought a three-volume anthology from Amazon for $2 and my son begs me to read from it every day.

Christine said...

Hello Terri,

How old is your baby boy now? I'm guessing well over a year?

We just bought the anthology and then the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle's Farm and Happy Birthday books separately...all for less than $15, including shipping. Gotta love used book buying! We've read them from the library before, but not Happy Birthday, Mrs. Piggle. I haven't read any of them to the girls yet.

These are real treasures I can pass on to my grandchildren some day!

Unknown said...

I have never read theses books, I will have to head over to Amazon :) I love your thankful list, I need to do another one and stop sulking. Thanks, as always for the encouragement.

Christine said...

Oh, Tesha. You'll get lots of giggles from Mrs. Piggle Wiggle. It will do the family good to read something like that right now. I am praying for you, friend!

Terri H said...

Hi, Christine! You had to know I'd comment on a book post. ;) "Baby" M is 19 months, 35 inches and 35 pounds. I can't keep up with this kid!

I thought you'd find it funny that my five-year-old has started mentioning cures he might need. The other day he said maybe he needed the "Having too many cars cure" and just now at bedtime he said that sometimes he needs the "Fighters Quarrelers" cure. Then in a very quiet voice he said "And maybe sometimes the 'complainers cure'." LOL

Christine said...

Terri, Your five year old sounds like he keeps you in stitches. And as far as baby M...Wow! Now I know my daughter is too skinny at 3.5 years and 29 pounds! :)

TerraD said...

Oh, my son loves Mrs. Piggle Wiggle! As a first grader, he kept them under his pillow and read at night with a flashlight over and over again. He was so excited to get the Happy Birthday one in his Easter basket this year!