Thursday, July 11, 2013

Beth's Surgery and a Volunteer's Heart



My little Beth had her tonsil and adenoid surgery yesterday morning. She and I stayed overnight and arrived home this morning. She woke up about every two hours last night and the stay wasn't much different than my time in hospitals with my newborns.

Exhausting. Nurses in and out frequently.

When they first brought me into recovery Beth was crying inconsolably, and despite my best efforts, the crying continued. It wasn't long before I felt like crying myself, overwhelmed with her need and my own emotions over seeing her in pain and so helpless.

I prayed for strength, and for her to relax so the pain medicine would work.

A volunteer senior citizen stopped by her bed, noticing she'd been upset. He was God's angel.

Children's hospitals have a strong volunteer staff from the community, represented largely by senior citizens. We go to this hospital many times a year--Beth's rheumatologist is there, as well as the ophthalmologist who treats her intermittent, arthritis-associated eye inflammation.

This sweet volunteer brought Beth a volunteer-crafted, fabric-covered teddy bear, gorgeous and girly, full of tiny butterflies and pastel prettiness.

One look at that beautiful teddy bear made Beth stop crying. She accepted it immediately and hugged it to her breast, as though all the love put into it flowed into her little heart.

Tears in my eyes, I touched his arm and told him how grateful I was. He was just so pleased, his eyes telling me how much he loved his job.

As I watched Beth, a dedicated little mother, hug that teddy for the next 24 hours, I knew that in my old age I would be a hospital volunteer, helping children and overwhelmed mothers overcome moments of hospital despair.

Nothing is so big that love can't eclipse it. Hasn't our Heavenly Father taught us that? That the greatest of these is love?

1 John 4:7
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.

Colossians 3:14
And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity

6 comments:

S. Etole said...

Prayers for Beth and you as she recuperates. What a precious gentleman.

Margie said...

Prayers to all of you, especially Miss Beth in her recovery. What a sweet volunteer!

Christine said...

Thank you, Susan and Margie. She is running a fever today, but I read to expect that. Love to you both!

Terri H said...

This is beautiful. Praying for you and your Beth.

Christine said...

Terri, good to hear from you! Thank you for your kind comment.

I am sure your coop board is blessed to have your expertise and work ethic. The children's coordinator that stepped down told me that there are only two mothers that she knows of in our church who don't work--herself and me. While it does add to our life load, it is a blessing to be available to have a positive influence in the lives of children, whether at church or on homeschool coops or for AWANA. There's no greater blessing than to invest in children's hearts for the Lord. I believe the time you commit will be rewarded by our Heavenly Father.

Praying for your new roles too, along with mine. Love to you and thank you for continuing to read here. You are a blessing.

Unknown said...

Oh so sorry to hear Beth had surgery, but I am so happy she received a blessing of love:)