Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Crockpot Fiesta Chicken and Black Beans



As I mentioned, it's my lean grocery week and I'm using up what I have on hand, which is mainly frozen chicken breasts. I have another crockpot chicken recipe to share. This can be used for tacos, burritoes, or over rice or salad. Add tortilla chips, cheese, cilantro, anything mexican to top it off.
I love any recipe with the word fiesta in it. It means spicy and delicious and just what my appetite ordered. A fiesta is a celebration and that's just how I feel when eating fiesta-inspired food.

Celebratory.

Fiesta Chicken and Black Beans

Ingredients

3 boneless chicken breasts cut into strips
1 can 15-oz. corn, drained
1 can 15-oz black beans, rinsed and drained
1 T. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 green pepper, cut into strips
1 can 14-oz diced tomatoes
1 can 6-oz tomato paste

Procedure

Combine all ingredients, mix well. Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours. As I mentioned, in my 6-quart crockpot, boneless chicken, even frozen to start, cooks in just 2 to 2 1/2 hours on high. I shred the chicken the last half hour of the cooking time.

My modifications:

~ 1 can diced tomatoes instead of chopped tomatoes. (Use mild Rotel to fire it up nicely. My husband is having heartburn issues so I can't use it right now. Salsa would work too.)

~ 2 cans black beans

~ 8 thin chicken breasts strips

~ About 8 ounces tomato sauce instead of tomato paste

~ 1 1/2 T cumin, and 2 tsp. chili powder

Enjoy and celebrate together!

image

2 comments:

As He Leads is Joy said...

That looks good -- I have a recipe similar to that. Chicken, corn, black beans, and salsa in the crock pot and then shred the chicken about an hour before eating. It makes quite a bit of meat. We eat it with rice but then again we eat most things with rice. I haven't made that in a long time. Maybe I should make it soon.

Amber said...

Oh, that sounds very yummy! I think I even have all the ingredients. Yay! I'm going to try this one this weekend!
Thanks for sharing!