Thursday, August 8, 2013

Just How Strong Are You?



Last Saturday my 90-year-old father-in-law fell as he was leaving a New Port Richey, Florida Dollar General, loading groceries into his motorized scooter. A police officer found him on the ground and took him to a hospital for treatment.
 
He was bruised, weak, and they found a racing heartbeat for which he's being treated. He will be transferred to a physical therapy facility soon to gain strength for the trip up to Ohio where we will care for him at home. Right now he can't even stand up.
 
His neighbor noticed he wasn't around for a couple days so she called around to different hospitals until she found him, and with his permission she called us.
 
He began coughing a great deal tonight on the phone and since there were previously no signs of congestive heart failure, I have to assume the coughing and throat-clearing is a side effect of one of the heart medicines they put him on (I researched this).
 
Today the inevitable happened.
 
I had a person tell me I can't handle caring for my father-in-law, along with my own children and their issues, along with homeschooling, laundry, cooking, cleaning and paperwork. Caring for an elderly person is like caring for a newborn, she warned.
 
While this person meant well, I know a verse she doesn't; her warnings didn't scare me.
 
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
 
The world will tell you to take the easy way. Put him in a nursing home--everybody does it. Divorce that husband you can't stand--everybody does it. Go back to work, put the kids in daycare and stop living so poorly--everybody does it.
 
Everybody does't have Christ.
 
But you do and I do.
 
Isaiah 41:10 fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

I don't know what is going on in your life, but I know this: When the going gets tough, people will tell you it's too much. "You just can't handle it and you have to face facts. It's nice that you have your religion and everything, but prayer isn't going to change the amount of work you'll have to do."
 
Today, the conversation ended with this question. "Just how strong are you?"
 
I'm as strong as He needs me to be.
 
1 Chronicles 16:11 Seek the LORD and his strength; seek his presence continually!

When we dare to live for the Lord, we will always be as strong as He needs us to be. He will always sustain us, always renew and strengthen us, when we work for Him.
 
Most bosses expect you to pull your own weight--pull ahead of the crowd even. But God, the ultimate boss, expects us to follow where He leads--in his footsteps, through his strength.
 
Live each day with joy, knowing you will always be as strong as He needs you to be. Deficits don't exist for Christ followers. There are only assets for us here, and treasures stored in heaven for later.
 
Exodus 15:2 The LORD is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation; this is my God, and I will praise him, my father’s God, and I will exalt him.

Rejoice, the Lord is near.
 
Isaiah 40:28-31 Have you not known? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary,and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.


 

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Christine, praying God fills you with His mighty strength and grace to do the hard work.

The other day I was at a celebration of life ceremony for a friends mother. Over and again I heard of both her and her care-giver daughter that "I could never be that strong" "I don't know how you did that?" I heard the same things when I was caring for my husband. It is such a lie from the enemy that we can't do things. When we are in God's will, we can do anything. Bless you for being His servant!

Christine said...

Thank you, Vicki. I am so glad your husband had you there till the end! Bless you and thank you again for the prayers and encouragement.