Monday, June 4, 2012

Multitude Monday and Psalm 34


Can't help but wish we had a walk in the garden to look forward to,
instead of doctor appointments.

I find myself up in the middle of the night, seeking comfort
My Beth has two appointments Monday afternoon. One is with her rheumatologist and the other with her ophthalmologist. The last check on her eyes, about three weeks ago, revealed just a little inflammation in her right eye (part of Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis in 25% of cases), so she had to go back on the steroid eye drops. At this appointment we check to see if the inflammation is gone. 
And the rheumatology appointment is her routine, every-six-weeks arthritis check-up (she has the disease in both knees). At the last one a cancer drug was mentioned, which we are opposed to. Since that appointment Beth's visual swelling has been down, and she's suffered no flares, thank the Lord. I am hoping the drug will not be mentioned again.
These appointments always spark fear in my heart. It's hard to relax and let go, since so much rides on what the doctors determine. And attending two back-to-back appointments with four kids in tow? Not exactly a picnic. 
And what better comfort than Psalms, and giving thanks for His gracious gifts?
Psalm 34 is indeed a gift. I urge you to share it with the brokenhearted in your life, and with all who need comfort.
Scripture in red, my words in blue.
Psalm 34
1I will extol the LORD at all times;
his praise will always be on my lips.
2 My soul will boast in the LORD;
let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
3 Glorify the LORD with me;
let us exalt his name together.
It's hard to lament when praise is on our lips. We can't grumble or fear when we praise. Praising God? It's the answer to every problem.
I sought the LORD, and he answered me;
he delivered me from all my fears.
Yes, he always answers! How glorious is His love and faithfulness!
5 Those who look to him are radiant;
their faces are never covered with shame.
Yes, this is so true. Those who pray, who read the Word faithfully, they have something special. Radiance from being in His presence. Don't forsake His presence; it's your lifeblood.
6 This poor man called, and the LORD heard him;
he saved him out of all his troubles.
7 The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him,
and he delivers them.
8 Taste and see that the LORD is good;
blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.
Taste and see? It means to spend time with the Lord. To know him intimately.
9 Fear the LORD, you his saints,
for those who fear him lack nothing.
10 The lions may grow weak and hungry,
but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.
Yes, yes! He is enough.
11 Come, my children, listen to me;
I will teach you the fear of the LORD.
12 Whoever of you loves life
and desires to see many good days,
13 keep your tongue from evil
and your lips from speaking lies.
14 Turn from evil and do good;
seek peace and pursue it.
15 The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous
and his ears are attentive to their cry;
16 the face of the LORD is against those who do evil,
to cut off the memory of them from the earth.
Not only must we spend time with the Lord, but fear Him as well. To fear him is to know he is a righteous God who detests sin and will not tolerate it. To fear him is to obey him. And we must always confess our sin. Yes, he died on the cross to redeem us--we are forgiven--but we continue to sin and that sin needs to be confessed. Don't assume the cross means we never have to humble ourselves before the Lord and loved ones, to confess wrong deeds and a wrong heart condition. Let us not keep sin hidden, so that our prayers are not hindered. 
17 The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them;
he delivers them from all their troubles.
18 The LORD is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
He became man and He knows our limitations, our afflictions. He loves us and is faithful to hurt with us and for us. Hallelujah!
19 A righteous man may have many troubles,
but the LORD delivers him from them all;
Does this mean He takes all our troubles away? Not always and not immediately. To be delivered from something could very well mean to be given the strength to rise above it...to live for eternity.
20 he protects all his bones,
not one of them will be broken.
21 Evil will slay the wicked;
the foes of the righteous will be condemned.
22 The LORD redeems his servants;
no one will be condemned who takes refuge in him.



Prayer Time: Dear Heavenly Father, once again I must thank you for the Psalms. How they heal and make my heart and soul soar. Thank you for your grace and mercy, for your faithfulness. Thank you for always answering our cries. Thank you for being close to the brokenhearted. Thank you for delivering us from our troubles, if only in our hearts and minds. Thank you for the redemptive quality of praise and thanksgiving. May it renew my friends and family also, today. May you be with them intimately. May you draw them to yourself. In your Son's name I pray, Amen. 
Giving more thanks today...
~ for Paul and Peter, who finally graduated from Momma's School of Baking. I have given up control and let them loose in the kitchen. No longer do I stand by and make sure just the right amount of flour and other ingredients make it into the bowls. They love the freedom and every second or third day, they bake something. So far we've enjoyed chocolate chip muffins, pumpkin pie, brownies, strawberry muffins, and now, today, snicker doodles
~ for my littlest girl, whose hugs and cuddles soothe my soul.
~ for my husband, who never has harsh words for me.
~ for opportunities to minister to Lexi, our new neighborhood friend.
~ for getting caught up on the folding.
~ for boys and little girls who fold their own socks and underwear.
~ for sunshine and cooler temperatures.
~ for a wonderful variety of birds at our feeders.
~ for a marriage rooted in peace and charity.
~ for my boys becoming consistent in their personal devotions. Trust the Holy Spirit and the Word. They will beckon a child's heart, if we provide the opportunity. Make it mandatory at first. You'll find that it grows on them.
~ for Peter, who remarked today, when Lexi went briefly home to check in with her mom, which she must do every thirty minutes: "That's good that she checks in with her mom when she's supposed to, isn't it Mommy? It makes me feel good when kids obey their parents."
Lexi is in the middle of a two-week restriction from using her bike, for going home too late one night (not from here). I think that really made an impression on her. Once today Paul even reminded her to go check in, which made me chuckle inside.
~ for a God who always provides, though on paper, it seems impossible.
~ for the Book of Jonah. It's taught me more about mercy than any other Bible lesson.
~ for little girls who sit on the couch with a book in their hands, though they can't yet read.
~ for the wonders of intercessory prayer. Think you got troubles? Start praying for others and feel the wonder of relief. A trouble is not a trouble unless we focus on it intently. Praying for others is an outward focus, rather than an inward one. And outward focus heals. No, it's not avoidance. Once you pray about your trouble, letting it go means to stop focusing on it. You've given it to God and that's all you can do at present. If He wants you to do more, he'll tell you. In the meantime, interceed for others and your heart will grow in charity and gratitude. Prayer is powerful in so many ways! So redemptive, so beautiful.
Linking with Ann for Multitude Monday.

6 comments:

Denise said...

So many wonderful thoughts and praises here! I love Psalm 34; He always gives us the strength to rise above our problems and heartbreaks when we turn to Him with faith and obedience. :)

Thanks for visiting Christine; praying for you and your daughter. Blessings and hugs on your day today! :)

Denise

Christina said...

I love verse 8 of Psalm 34. The Psalms have always spoken to me in the hardest of times. Enjoyed visiting here. May God's healing hand be on your daughter. Blessings!

Alicia said...

Praying for you and your daughter, Christine. I, too, find such comfort in the Psalms. Funny, because my 13 year old son who is reading his way thru the whole Bible just sighed yesterday and complained, "Why are there so many of these Psalms? THey are SO BORING." I guess we grow into them- perhaps need a mother's heart to fully appreciate those beautiful words of comfort.

Wendy @ ECTaS said...

Wonderful insight Christine. I am back to work tomorrow and going to miss calling by every day. I will have to try and do catchy up on Saturday (DV).


Have just said a prayer for you and your daughter.

Wendy

P.S. I love Psalm 34 - one of my favourite Psalms.

Christine said...

Thank you for the prayer, ladies! I so appreciate it as we go out the door now. Love to you today.

Unknown said...

I am so encouraged by this post Christine, Thank you! I am reading this after Beth's appointment but I pay it was a good report and look forward to an update.