Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My Cinderella

Cinderella at her ball? Very blessed, but only until midnight. What a challenge...to live like there's no tomorrow, to embrace every single blessed moment, knowing there really is a tomorrow, and it's a sorrowful one.

Cinderella knew she'd go back to her mean step-sisters, her evil step-mother. But while she danced, she danced with joy, with abandon, even forgetting her deadline, until she heard the striking clock.

My little Beth? My very own princess? Thanks to prednisone to get her through a medication transition, she has a week to live like Cinderella at the ball. No pain, no swelling. She can finally run, and jump. She can keep up with her athletic sister.

I watch her run around the house, around the yard, and I marvel. Just how it used to be. My little girl with the contagious giggle, the contagious joy. I am so happy for her, tears spill.

But oral prednisone is dangerous, only to be used for emergencies, for small doses of time. It carries with it potentially serious side effects. Many mothers, I'm sure, praise it and give thanks for the miracles it works in their asthma-weakened children. But they grieve too, that it's needed in the first place. They think about the future, about the damage it might do.

In about five days, my girl will probably feel the thorn in her flesh again. She might get out of bed, plant her feet down, only to slump to the floor, unable to put any weight on her achy knees. Not quite this bad every morning, but often enough that she knows the pain of defeat, first thing in the morning.

Our challenge, my princess and me? To savor these days as a gift from Heaven above. To thank our precious Lord for a body that works, if only for a week. To live like there's no bitter tomorrow. To embrace it all, even the ending, while still praying for spontaneous remission.

And to trust Him, in all His plans, knowing that they're beautiful, purposeful. Like Cinderella marrying her prince, Beth will have her reward from Him, and it will be sweet.

Friend, I don't know what sorrow has come your way. But I know Him. He is mighty to save. Embrace your today, clinging to Him. I'd be honored to pray for you. You can leave your request in the comments, which I've switched to blog-owner approval. I'll be faithful, friend. Your prayer request won't post to the public.

James 1:12
Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.


2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.


James 1:2
Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy.


Romans 5:3
Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;
Finding Heaven
Linking with Jen today


7 comments:

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Christine -

Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting.

You have a beautiful family. I'll put your precious daughter on my prayer list.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Christine said...

Susan, Thank you for your prayers. We all appreciate your prayer warrior spirit!

Unknown said...

We have a friend at church whose daughter has RA, too. I will pray for your sweet one, for healing and that joy would pervade her heart always -- that she would feel His presence on a daily basis. We have a prayer group at SDG. I send out a call for prayer requests on Sunday night and send them to the whole group on Monday if you are interested.

I'm so glad that you have joined us! I will email you the answer to your question about the blog button.

Christine said...

Thank you, Jen. We would be so appreciative of the prayer and thank you for the tip.

Sorry I'm not more tech-savvy!

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Oh Christine. Just at a loss for words here. But I can pray. I can do that.

And I am. And I will be. Praying. ...

Lisa said...

Still praying for Beth. May she soak up every wonderful moment of being Cinderella!

Christine said...

Lisa and Jennifer, thank you. Sincerely.