Thursday, April 4, 2013

Isn't God Amazing, says my Peter

Our Sonlight curriculum includes daily Bible reading passages for a whole school year, plus other Bible support materials. This year the boys were assigned, among other Books, 1 and 2 Samuel. We got through the rape of Tamar ( 2 Samuel 13:1-22) with me explaining that Amnon physically attacked Tamar. I didn't explain what type of an attack, mind you, because I hadn't yet purchased purity materials and I didn't feel prepared.

I'm still looking for a reasonable price for what I want.

We got through David sleeping with Bathsheba by my explaining that this was David's sin, not Bathsheba's, because she would have put her life at risk in refusing a King's orders. I didn't say David attacked Bathsheba, per se, but that he forced himself on her, kissing her without her consent. The words, "lay with her" didn't spark much interest in the boys, who are too innocent to read anything into those words.

Then today, they were assigned in the book The Usborne Complete Book of the Microscope, a passage about an egg and sperm uniting:



Page 31: Chromosomes and their genes are passed on during a process called fertilization. This happens when an egg cell from a woman's body joins with a sperm cell from a man's body. In the electron microscope picture above, the rounded shape is an egg cell and the tadpole shape is a sperm cell. They are joining together to create a new cell. The fertilized egg cell will contain a mixture of chromosomes from the sperm cell and the egg cell.

When the fertilized egg cell divides each new cell will carry an exact copy of these chromosomes and the genes in them. The cells will continue dividing to create more and more cells. Over the next nine months, these cells will develop into a baby.

Peter came to me, embarrassed, saying "Can you believe they put this in here? Digusting!"

Mom:  "Why is it disgusting?"

Peter: "Well...okay. I guess it's not." After a hesitation, he added, "Isn't God amazing?"

Whenever he reads something new about God and nature, he always says that:

"Isn't God amazing?"

Dear Lord, in our education endeavors, may we continually point our children to this powerful, life-changing truth...."Isn't God amazing?"

When we know that in our heart and in our heads, we can truly live....Blessed.

I think we'll go over these verses at lunch time today. The microscope is a nifty tool, spreading some light on God's amazing design. I'm blessed to hear that Peter sees it for what it is...God, not science.

Science only helps reveal God's work.

Psalm 139:13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.

Isaiah 44:24  "This is what the LORD says-- your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb: I am the LORD, the Maker of all things, who stretches out the heavens, who spreads out the earth by myself,
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh that is such a sweet blessing. Don't you just love those moments when you realize it's working!!! They are getting it!!! Praise God for Peter's revelation God is amazing!