Saturday, April 4, 2015

From Uganda With Love

Though I write frequently about Compassion International, I don't know that I've provided a glimpse of the receiving end of sponsorship. The letters you receive from your sponsored children will bless you in profound ways. While it isn't usual to post a personal letter, I know Sheila from Uganda won't mind my posting this if it brings glory to God. She is the kindest young lady, a teenager living with just her grandma, her mother having died and her father working in the city (he doesn't support her regularly).

Everything she writes brings glory to God. We began sponsoring her in January, 2014, and I found out in her first letter, received March 2014, that she was already a Believer. She writes about 5 to 6 letters a year, in her own hand and in English. It takes about two months for her to receive my letters, and about two months for me to get a response, but she doesn't immediately respond. The topics she is addressing here seem to have been introduced by me last fall, though her letter is dated January 21, 2015. I received it April 4, 2015.

Dear Christine, (changed to my blog name)

Greetings to you and your family members. I hope all are okay. Me and my grandmother are okay. I am so glad to communicate to you once again. I thank you for sending to me letters with good pictures. 

Here Christmas was so marvelous. We celebrated Christmas with an uncle from the city called Kampala. We ate chicken at home. At that Christmas there was a cake for every child with our parents. I gave a hug to my grandmother and was so happy for that.

Thank you for always thinking about me and my grandmother thus writing letters to me. As far as praying mantises there are some but few and I haven't ever heard of this American game called baseball.

I enjoy watching birds like doves, crested crane. My grandmother is okay. I told her that you love her so much and she became very glad.

The picture of squirrel in the letter was new to me because I have never seen it. Here they are no where to be seen.

I would like to share with you a memory verse from the book of Luke 11:9. It says: So I say to you, ask and you will receive, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened to you.

It teaches me to keep on praying because God is a protector, a provider of each and everything.

The whole heart of mine wishes you a victorious year 2015. May God protect you. May God bless you.

My heart swells with each of her letters and I long to visit her. It's a recurring prayer of mine. I encourage you to sponsor a child and have the blessing of a letter like this in your future. Teenage girls are likely to write more than most other sponsored children, so keep that in mind if you wish to receive newsy letters. Also, teenagers usually have to wait longer for sponsors because people tend to choose the cute, little kids. So, consider a teenager?

We sponsor children to bless them and to bring glory to God, but I wanted to give you a glimpse of the blessing your family receives in return, in the form of relationship and letters.

Do you sponsor a teenage girl? Does she send newsier letters?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our little girl is now a teenager! It is such a blessing watching her grow, even if it is from afar.

Christine said...

Happy Easter, Sandy! When she graduates, she will probably try to contact you and what a blessing that will be! I think you can give permission to have your address given to her after she graduates from the Compassion program. Also, many have been contacting their sponsors via social media. They have access to it in Internet cafes I have read for pennies a minute. They are not supposed to do this while being sponsored, but when she graduates she may try it.

I hope you had a happy Resurrection Day!