Thursday, December 16, 2010

point the way

Five plates sat on the counter, two pieces of bread each.  Peanut butter and jelly ready to go.

And then, a diaper change.

A sibling fight.

Someone forgot to close the bathroom door and baby got all wet playing at the sink.  I changed her.

Mary fell and needed some lovin' hugs.

Math problems needed explaining.

The dryer bell sounded and laundry needed shuffling.

Forty-five minutes later, on slightly hardened bread, I spread the peanut butter and jelly.

In the middle of it all, due to my own extreme hunger and frustration, I belted out a primal scream, shocking my offspring.  I just wanted to get lunch on the table!  How hard can it be!

A couple hours later, huddled in prayer with all my babes, I opened by asking God's forgiveness. The Holy Spirit is careful to impress this upon me, in the post-sin hours.

Confess.  Let them see you confess.

I have an ugly secret.  I can't stop sinning.  I lose my focus.  Taking my eyes off of Him, I promptly fall into the water, as Peter did.

They learn the ways of the Lord not through my good behavior, usually, but through my repentance.  When I acknowledge that I need the Lord--that I am nothing without Him--they know what to do with their own sin.

Humble yourself before the Lord.  Acknowledge, confess.  Be filled with Him again.  And again.  And again.

We don't have to be great parents, or even good parents--whatever that may entail.

We simply have to point the way to Him.

No comments: