Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Body of Christ, Part 1


My last post, Are You Isolated From the Body of Christ?, asked these questions:


How does the Body of Christ share burdens it doesn't understand? How can we make ourselves vulnerable, when we know understanding isn't there? Can we just share our neighbors' burdens in love, but never really put ourselves out there?


I contemplated this while I washed dishes, folded laundry, and drove my Beth to physical therapy. What's expected of me...of all of us...Lord? What should the Body of Christ look like, practically speaking?


No answer came, until I got back from physical therapy. 


Picture it, my three year old is having a fit as I carry her into the house, crying because swim therapy on Tuesdays and gym therapy on Wednesdays is a lot for her atrophied but starting-to-revive muscles. She's exhausted and irrational and I'm hot and headachy from a 28-minute van ride sans air conditioning.


My husband has a special arrangement to go into work at 5:30 AM on Wednesdays so he can come home for a few hours and watch the other children while Beth does her Wednesday session. Tuesdays I bring them all with me.


So husband's home when I get Beth into the house, but he's rushing to get on the road to his second job. He quickly informs me that the secretary at his church job mentioned today that she may lose her insurance soon because she and her husband "might have to get divorced". 


Concerned, he took the liberty to tell her that his wife saved a marriage recently by writing both parties a letter, and maybe I could help her? 


Husband doesn't know the issues but asked me if I would call her and talk with her about the issues? 

Talking on the phone with strangers who are not from utility companies and insurance companies and doctor's offices, always panics me because I'm shy. My three year old is still fitting and needs lunch and my husband's old friend Jim and his wife are supposed to stop by tomorrow on the way to Yellowstone, so the house needs to be in nice shape before Thursday afternoon.


Don't I already have my hands full and how I do find the time to help this woman? And who says she even wants help? Casually mentioning she may have to get divorced is not necessarily a plea for help.


But none of this actually made it out of my mouth because the Holy Spirit suddenly gave me a beautiful picture of what the Body of Christ should look like. And all my objections melted away and as I carried my three year old to the couch to nurse her and calm her down. 


I said to my husband, "I will do what I can to help, but remember I'm a writer not a talker. I never could have helped the other couple outside of a letter."


How it will work with the secretary and her husband, I don't know. But I have a clearer picture of the Body of Christ to share with you...later this week.


Please join me?

No comments: