Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Something About Jonah, Part 2


 If you missed it or have forgotten it, see Something About Jonah, Part 1




We left Jonah being swallowed by a big fish after being thrown overboard by merciful pagan sailors who tried but failed to deliver him to dry land. Jonah had run away from God in an attempt to avoid preaching repentance to the Ninevites, who were guilty of atrocities against the Israelites. 

In his heart Jonah was afraid the Ninevites would repent after being preached to and that God would spare them--something the hate in Jonah's heart couldn't allow. In running away he had given up his ministry, his family...everything. The mercy shown to Jonah by the pagan sailors stands out in sharp contrast to the lack of mercy in Jonah's heart.

Now, in chapter 2, we have Jonah's prayer. Scripture in red, my commentary words in blue.
1 From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the Lord his God. 2 He said:
“In my distress I called to the Lord, and he answered me.
Notice this is not a prayer for deliverance. Instead, Jonah gives thanks to the Lord for His mercy, for Jonah has not drowned! He understands the magnitude of his sin and that death is a fair punishment. He's overwhelmed by the Lord's mercy. 

No matter what's going on in our own lives, we can have this same magnitude of feeling about our own deliverance from death. The Lord's mercy is overwhelming! Take a moment and contemplate that today. Escaping hell and eternal suffering is mercy. Getting heaven instead of hell? That is wild, radical grace

A spirit of thanksgiving should permeate our lives, setting the tone for all our interactions and reactions. We've already been given so much! 
From deep in the realm of the dead I called for help,
and you listened to my cry.
3 You hurled me into the depths,
into the very heart of the seas,
and the currents swirled about me;
all your waves and breakers
swept over me.
4 I said, ‘I have been banished
from your sight;
yet I will look again
toward your holy temple.’
5 The engulfing waters threatened me,[b]
the deep surrounded me;
seaweed was wrapped around my head.
6 To the roots of the mountains I sank down;
the earth beneath barred me in forever.
But you, Lord my God,
brought my life up from the pit.

7 “When my life was ebbing away,
I remembered you, Lord,
and my prayer rose to you,
to your holy temple.

Let this sentence in verse 7 not be us. We must not "remember the Lord" only when life overwhelms--when it's ebbing away--but every day. A solid, on-going relationship with the Lord grounds us in righteousness and allows peace to flood our hearts. We can choose God or choose Satan, for Satan always wins when God doesn't--life is a spiritual battle. A new or immature Christian doesn't always understand this sober reality, but the longer we walk faithfully with the Lord, the more we comprehend the battle that makes up our daily lives.
Remember that the full fix doesn't come until heaven. Until then, we must daily choose God over Satan as the ruler of our hearts. Our salvation means we will triumph in the end, but we can be used by God and have greater peace today, if we will engage in the battle, putting on the full armor of God. (see Ephesians below)

When we lack peace, let us ask ourselves why. Who is winning in the battle for our attention and devotion?
Ephesians 6:10-18 The Armor of God 10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Matthew 12:30 "He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters."
Back to Jonah's prayer, in chapter 2 verse 8:
8 “Those who cling to worthless idols
turn away from God’s love for them.


When we choose idols instead of God--too much time spent on hobbies, electronics, a career, acquiring riches, whatever it is that steals our time away from God--we give up so much that is precious and sustaining and renewing. When we fail to choose God, we give up his mercy.

9 But I, with shouts of grateful praise,
will sacrifice to you.
What I have vowed I will make good.
I will say, ‘Salvation comes from the Lord.’”

Jonah repents and promises to obey God--to make good on his ministerial vow. How easily do we obey God? Is a yes always ready on our lips? Do we wake up in the morning asking, "What do you want to do today, God?"
10 And the Lord commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land.


In chapter 3 we learn that although Jonah repented and did as God commanded--he preached repentance to the Ninevites--his heart still burned with hate.

Prayer TimeDear Heavenly Father, thank you for your mercy and grace toward us. May we live our lives clothed in thankfulness, never forgetting or minimizing your sacrifice. May we say yes to you and put on the full armor of God, so we can daily do battle with the enemy, to bring you your due glory. Let us live to bring you glory, in all we do. Open our hearts to what you have to say about mercy in the next chapter of Jonah, especially as our country mourns a tragedy in Colorado. Your desire is that all shall repent and receive mercy--even the villains ( the Ninevites of our world). May our hearts be filled with mercy for the perpetrator and his family, even as we mourn the loss of innocent life. May the country look to you for peace, for truth.


In your Son's name I pray, Amen



2 comments:

Wendy @ E1A said...

Such an in depth and beautiful study. But even more beautiful is the prayer to which I join in agreement regarding.

Love the depth of your love for God Christine and know I can learn much from you.

Christine said...

Thank you, Wendy! I always appreciate your visits and your encouraging words. Bless you.