Friday, July 6, 2012

Thankful Thursday (yes, I'm late)

“You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace before the concert and the opera, and grace before the play and pantomime, and grace before I open a book, and grace before sketching, painting, swimming, fencing, boxing, walking, playing, dancing and grace before I dip the pen in the ink.” — G. K. Chesterton

“Thou that has given so much to me,
Give one thing more–a grateful heart;
Not thankful when it pleaseth me,
As if thy blessings had spare days;
But such a heart, whose pulse may be
Thy praise.”
– George Herbert
Dear Lord, thank you for these graces:
~ My Paul receiving piano lessons from a very nice 13-year-old Christian boy. We pay him in homemade cookies and we've offered teen-sitting. Twice a week this summer he spends the day at the church while his mother (the church secretary) works. The church allows the use of their piano, thank the Lord. My husband works at this same church as a custodian. 

I know it's legal to let teens stay alone, but it's an extremely bad idea for even the most responsible, spiritual teens. Phones and the Internet are real dangers, to start with. We haven't had cable for three years now and don't get a signal, but I remember enough to know that it, too, isn't something you want a teen using unsupervised. Cable's a spiritual danger for younger kids, too, unless the TV cabinet is locked or the cable unhooked when direct, in-the-room supervision isn't possible. Flipping channels brings the filth of the world right before your child's curious eyes. 
~ Now that Beth's arthritis is under control I'm open to babysitting for ages 3+ and praying for opportunities either paid or not...whatever the Lord puts together. 


~ What Shall We Do, Blue Kangaroo? encourages young children to entertain themselves and take on new responsibilities, instead of always relying on adults. Sweet, innocent, heartwarming and the artwork is colorful, cheerful, gorgeous. Loved it! (Author Emma Chichester Clark)


What Shall We Do, Blue Kangaroo? (Blue Kangaroo)

~ When You Visit Grandma & Grandpa features a big sister describing to her toddler brother, what it's like to visit Grandma and Grandpa in each season of the year. A superb read-aloud and great for teaching and reinforcing the seasons! (Author Anne Bowen)

When You Visit Grandma And Grandpa

~ We made cookies to bring to our neighbor boy, Landon, and his grandmother, but they apparently left for vacation before we could get over there. Paul's piano lesson came so soon this week, I was grateful for the freshly baked cookies to give to the teen piano teacher! Either way, they blessed someone.

~ The children and I worked hard to get the house in shape yesterday so that at anytime, children can come here and be ministered to. They liked the idea a lot and helped with good attitudes (thank you, Jesus, because I couldn't have done it otherwise). Today we are doing frequent "five-minute pick-ups" to keep it in shape. My part is to keep the kitchen counter clear and keep the laundry folded and put away so it doesn't collect anywhere. Pray the best for us in this discipline, as it would be necessary if we do babysit anyone? Orderliness and cleanliness would be on most parents' minds when choosing a babysitter. Without a garage or basement to store things, we have to be extra organized to present ourselves well. 

~ After complimenting my girls this morning, I joked to the boys: "Do you boys know the secret to a happy marriage?"

"No. What is it?", they asked.

"Each morning, no matter what she looks like, let the first thing you say to your wife be this: '"Good morning, beautiful!"'

Peter smiled and added, "And then you should kiss her, too." I can't wait to tell my husband about this tonight. So sweet and smart, that Peter...even if he does add to my white hair daily.

~ Our central air conditioning quit working about 6:00 o'clock last night. It's been in the high 90's for several days so we had an 80 degree, humid house to sleep in last night. Early this morning before work husband went to Walmart and bought a new filter for the air conditioner. Working like a charm today, thank the Lord! I love that man! A dirty filter and grass and debris located too close to the unit are the main problems to check for when your air goes out in the summer. Change the filter once a month during high usage. (Thank you, Google, for this information.)

~ Teaching all the valuable verses from the Book of James. So much treasure there. Read the same chapter for three or four nights, and then work on the key verses from that chapter, before moving on. Put the verses on index cards to practice at breakfast.

~ Family movie night with pizza and the talking-pig movie, Babe. Forgive us, we love talking pig movies...especially those purchased at the thrift store for $1. My favorite part of the movie? When the farmer dances a jig in his living room, to cheer up Babe the pig. So sweet and cheer-worthy! (Yes, it's better than Gordy the Pig).

~ My girls taking turns on my lap during the movie. So nice to relax and snuggle and giggle together...without the chores needing my attention too.

~ Children beating the heat advisory with Legos. When your children stop playing with their Legos (or any other toy you've invested a lot of money in) hide it under a bed for six weeks. When you bring them out your children will treat them like a brand new toy...and you'll feel like your money wasn't wasted! I've heard this tip many times but I don't always remember to implement it. It's especially helpful for homeschooling mothers with babies, toddlers, and preschoolers around.



It's been at least 5 months since she cut her own bangs right down to the scalp. Taking forever to grow back entirely...it was a spotty job!




It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord,
and to sing praises unto thy name, O most high:
To shew forth thy lovingkindness in the morning,
and thy faithfulness every night
 Psalm 92.1-2

5 comments:

Margie said...

My oldest is beating the heat today in doors with legos as well! My youngest playing babies, and in the small inflatable pool we have. Grateful that this heat wave seems to be breaking this weekend. Take care my friend. Glad your husband was able to fix the AC.

Christine said...

Oh, Margie. I hope it cools this weekend! I'm ready for snow. :)

Unknown said...

SO many great tips for living a safe happy life. I have the worst time leaving laundry out and it makes me miserable. I always think a laundry room would solve the problem but really just folding it and putting it away would LOL :)I love movie nights we have not had one since Christmas. It is hard when the kids ages are so spread out. I agree Babe is Awesome!

Christine said...

Tesha, my three year old didn't do well with family movies even three months ago. We waited a long time to be able to relax together as a family. I will let you know if I solve the laundry problem or not. That's my downfall as well.

Lisa said...

I love Peter's words of wisdom, dear Christine. What a treasure! :)