Monday, November 5, 2012

Multitude Monday: Living Brave

We're about to do something brave. I go from scared to excited, all in the same minute.

We will write a proposal to our church for front money to begin a neighborhood ministry. It would start with The Jesus Storybook Bible, one per family, along with the accompanying curriculum kit for me to use in teaching.

The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name   -     
        By: Sally Lloyd-Jones



The Jesus Storybook Bible Curriculum Kit  -     
        By: Sally Lloyd-Jones
    
    
        Illustrated By: Jago

Between my husband's theology degree and my teaching degree, we should be able to fill in any holes left by this curriculum.

Lord willing, the ministry would grow to include the neighborhood parents.  My husband could provide Biblical counseling for families, one-on-one discipleship for the men, and a men's Bible Study. I could encourage the women and lead them in a Bible study.

Other needs, such as clothing, food, paper products, home and vehicle repairs, could be coordinated through us and through various businesses represented in the church body.

Meeting the needs of our two special-needs children makes me wonder if we can manage. That could be a spiritual attack though; Satan loves to attack even the idea of a new ministry.

Thanks-living is brave living. Faith-filled living. The Lord plucked me out of this world and remade me. I bare no resemblance to the woman I once was. While I used to only shed tears over all He's done for me, I now feel a deep need and desire to live my thankfulness.

So, please pray? That the proposal would be well accepted? That God would provide strength for us? If Beth needs to go on the chemo drug (methotrexate) for her Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, we would have to worry about exposing her to viruses and bacteria. In that case, we might wait until Easter to begin our ministry and give the Bibles out then. God willing, her blood test, which she will have next week, will show reduced swelling, allowing us to once again forgo this cancer drug.

1 Peter 4:10
10 Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.

1 Samuel 20:24
24 But be sure to fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you.

Mark 10:45
45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

Luke 22:26-27
26 But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. 27 For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves.

Giving Thanks Today:

  • Watching Mr. Popper's Penguins together as a family. Not like the book at all, but hilariously funny.
  • Hugs from my husband on a weary day.
  • Well over a week with no sun, but sun predicted tomorrow!
  • Beth falling in love with the book Penny and Her Doll, by Kevin Henkes

  • Reducing my headache medicine has made a positive difference. I take one now instead of the two called for on the bottle (extra-strength acetaminophen mixed with caffeine). This lower dose combats the headaches well.
  • My aunt watched my children on Saturday so I could take another family to a free coat giveaway.
  • Paul celebrated his 9th birthday with joy and thanksgiving.
  • Beth looking at more and more books, now that the rain gutters display them optimally on the playroom walls. Books stuffed in shelves don't entice very well.
  • Holding a sweet, tired four-year-old boy in my arms while we waited in line for his free coat.
  • The Spirit instilling the desire to live my thanks.
  • Prayers that instill bravery.
  • The freecycle network in my area. What wonderful people! I learned about the free coat giveaway from them.
Giving thanks with Ann today, and other thankful ladies.

3 comments:

Margie said...

Praying friend! Also, have you introduced Beth to Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes. That one was a favorite with both of mine.

Christine said...

I do have that one, Margie, but we haven't read it in awhile. I'll pull it out today. Thank you for your prayers!

Lisa said...

Praying for good results from Beth's labs, my friend. And for a fruitful children's ministry. :)