Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Stillness of Heart




Wednesday's my busiest day. Miss Beth has speech and physical therapy and we do baking for AWANA in the afternoon, followed by Kids' Choir at 6:00 PM, then AWANA in the same building from 6:30 - 8:00 PM. I help in AWANA as well every week.

The other days of the week I diligently try to stay home, except for library every other week. Home is where hearts are nurtured and Scripture is learned and bad habits and attitudes are prayed away. Running around to this and that activity, for me, is just chasing the world's vision of success. One day a week is enough, and kids can certainly alternate their pursuits in the name of stillness of heart.

If God wants a child to develop a certain talent, he'll make it happen. We don't have to chase talents by leaving the house three or more times a week. They're bestowed on us--my Paul's piano playing has demonstrated that to me. I don't run him to lessons but nevertheless, he's growing in talent and determination. God has decided He wants this for my Paul, probably to bring glory to Himself. I've learned to trust Him in all things, including the pace of life. 

Slower, steadier, is better than frenzied chasing.

On Wednesday when I'm most busy, Psalms help me stay afloat and keep me focused on His yoke, not my own yoke of perfectionism. When our activities are orchestrated by Him, they will flow well. They will have meaning and depth and they will not overwhelm us. They are for Him.

The cookies for AWANA are for Him. Our Christian witness at Beth's weekly appointments is for Him. Our efforts at learning Scripture are for Him. Paul's practice at the piano is for Him. Our voices lifted up in praise at kids' choir is for Him.

If it's for Him it will fit into your life and your heart well, like the pieces of a puzzle. When it becomes about us or about the world, it pulls us away from Him. 

He is our Anchor. Our refuge. Our Truth. Our Purpose. Our Peace. 

We are His.

I have a very well-meaning homeschooler sending e-mail after e-mail about this and that activity for homeschoolers. I usually say no, but the e-mails keep coming. The suggested activities keep piling up and encompassing most days. What is she running from, I wonder? Why so much doing and so little stillness? Why so many people constantly around and so little time to listen to just His voice? At first it felt like peer pressure and upset me, but I've stood firmly on the need for stillness of heart.

I'm the worst mother when I'm rushing them to get somewhere on time. I don't feed my children as well--neither their bodies or their souls. I'm too harsh with them.

My children are at their best when they have this sacred home space to learn in, grow in, play in, nurture each other in. Thus strengthened, when they do go out in the world, they are prepared to impact it, not just experience it for pleasure.

I'm the best mother and wife when I've had time to talk with Him. Read. Pray. Reflect. Listen. And then more prayer to solidify His whispers unto my heart.

Psalm 5 successfully refocused my heart on Him today, on my busiest of days.

What refocuses you, my friend?

Psalm 5

1Give ear to my words, O Lord;
consider my groaning.
2 Give attention to the sound of my cry,
my King and my God,
for to you do I pray.
3 O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice;
in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you and watch.


4 For you are not a God who delights in wickedness;
evil may not dwell with you.
5 The boastful shall not stand before your eyes;
you hate all evildoers.
6 You destroy those who speak lies;
the Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man.


7 But I, through the abundance of your steadfast love,
will enter your house.
I will bow down toward your holy temple
in the fear of you.
8 Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness
because of my enemies;
make your way straight before me.


9 For there is no truth in their mouth;
their inmost self is destruction;
their throat is an open grave;
they flatter with their tongue.
10 Make them bear their guilt, O God;
let them fall by their own counsels;
because of the abundance of their transgressions cast them out,
for they have rebelled against you.


11 But let all who take refuge in you rejoice;
let them ever sing for joy,
and spread your protection over them,
that those who love your name may exult in you.
12 For you bless the righteous, O Lord;
you cover him with favor as with a shield. source here

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen that is so true!! I am looking forward to upcoming weeks of staying HOME!