Wednesday, April 6, 2011

thanks with my whole heart

Psalm 9:1-2
I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart; I will recount all of your wonderful deeds. I will be glad and exult in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.

Wednesday Gratitude

I am thankful for:

- a sweet toddler who softly caresses my face when she's asleep (or half asleep) at night.

- four months without colds.  This current cold, and its affect on my toddler, reminds me of the grace we were given this winter.  Dealing with an angry, high-needs ADHD/OCD child by day, and a sick toddler by night, would have done me in.  Oh, Heavenly Father, I love you.  Thank you!

- a husband who kisses me goodbye and whispers, "I'm praying for you."

- The day after Miss Beth's first toss-and-turn night, I woke up sicker and feeling punchy--no patience.  By 9:30 AM, Peter had asked me ten times when the goldfinches would come back to the feeder.  He doesn't mean to annoy--just has little ability to delay gratification.  My husband was due to leave at lunch time.  I said, "Honey, I think I need to check out a Curious George movie, and a Barney for Miss Beth, to get through this day."  I left five minutes later, on my way to the library I swore I'd never go to again--the one that charges  $.50/day for each overdue item.  It happens to be the only library with Curious George and Barney movies.  I checked out Campfire Songs Barney, filmed twenty-one years ago, and Curious George Goes Green.  We've been happily singing long-forgotten campfire songs for two days.  I love that Barney is mostly songs, all of which we love.  I also love Curious George, and cuddling with my kids while we watch it.  Being sick (occasionally) can be a blessing.  It gives Momma permission to give up on chores (though there's always dishes and laundry) and just enjoy relaxing with the kids.

- crockpots

- frozen fruit, steamed frozen veggies (I know, I say this a lot, but they do make things easier for busy Momma's!)

- the Book of Isaiah

- Psalms

- Proverbs

- listening to children pray

- hot chocolate

- green grass (I promise I won't complain about the very dark skies here, and all the rain and mud)

- seventy-degree weather predicted later this week

- a long forgotten Hershey bar in my purse, still safe in its complete wrapping (No, I did not eat it in the bathroom, savouring its stress-relieving properties.  What Momma doesn't share a Hershey bar with her brood?)

- a woodpecker walking backwards all the way down our tree, on his way to the suet.

- a squirrel hanging by his tail, enjoying a peanut butter/birdseed pinecone.  What will they do next? :)

- a female goldfinch came to the feeder today (Praise God!)

- a boy in love with birds--and spiritual enough to give thanks to God for them ("Dear Lord, thank you for the goldfinch.  May I see the male goldfinch later today.")

- a house full of very small things to pick up while vacuuming (lightbright pegs, lacing jewels, pegboard pegs, Paul's popcorn kernels, Peter's birdseed)

- the strength to vacuum today

- dishes done early, before anyone's bedtime

- propping myself against a pillow and holding Beth nearly upright in my arms, so she could sleep and breathe at the same time.  Holding her for so long felt soooo good, even though it was four in the morning and she had tossed and turned most of the night)


No comments: