Thursday, March 29, 2012

Blessings on Thursday 3/29


It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness. 

Charles Spurgeon



Fine Art Print of The end of a happy day by Thomas Faed
The end of a happy day
by Thomas Faed
~ Temps under 30 haven't affected the few tulips in bloom. More will bloom in the next couple of days, with more low temps on the way. We'll be praying!

~ Peter falling in love with historical fiction

~ Sarah, Plain and Tall, a short, easy, but moving Newbery Medal read by Patricia MacLachlan, intrigued both my boys this year. I doubted they would enjoy it, but I pulled it off the shelf anyway, sensing they were fans of 19th century historical literature. We also happened to have one of the sequels, More Perfect Than The Moon. What a hit! I decided to order the other sequels, which should arrive any day now. We love new reads!

1 Sarah, Plain and Tall
2 Skylark
3 Caleb's Story
4 More Perfect than the Moon
5 Grandfather's Dance

~ A certain little three-year-old cozy in my lap, making my heart sing.

~  Waking up a 3 AM and deciding to sweep, mop, put away puzzles, and fold clothes, rather than fight insomnia. Great way to sneak in chores so the day goes smoother. But I don't recommend you doing it. Roll over and go back to sleep...you're not 46 yet. 

~ Peter having a better week.

~ I enjoy talking with Beth's physical therapist every Wednesday, during Beth's fifty-minute session. She is European, maybe German, but I can easily understand her even with her accent. We don't actually talk the whole time, since we're both working with Beth, but we manage to visit a little each session. She is very nice, sweet, and gentle. She wanted a girl badly but she has two boys, 8 and 14 years old. Miss Beth charms, with her face always full of expression, and her spontaneous giggles and songs. It does Bea, the therapist, good to be with a little girl. 

She knows we go to church, but that's all I've said thus far. I sense the relationship will slowly develop into one of mutual trust and respect, and maybe then God will put life-giving words in my mouth? Talking about Jesus to a person with whom we have real relationship, is very effective evangelism, particularly for adults. Most people who know the Lord come to faith before 18 years old. The odds aren't great for coming to faith after that, which is why building relationship is so important.. I'm living proof, having been saved at age 31 because of a relationship a fellow first-grade teacher built with me. The topic, the need, will come up eventually, for God puts Christian and non-Christian together for a purpose. It was no accident that my daughter developed arthritis, requiring her to see the same few practitioners for many years.

~ Morning cuddles

~ A relative may be here on Saturday to help my husband change out at least one toilet, maybe two. 

~ Grass greening all over the township, tulips and daffodils up everywhere.

~ Peter, at age 10, still letting me kiss his cheek, though he dislikes hugs.

~ Making a good dent in the spring clothing switch.

~ I get to hold babies in the nursery soon.

~ Paul coming into the bedroom this morning, asking, "Is it time to cuddle yet?"

~ "Henry Bussy, put that thing down!" A line from Mary's current favorite movie. I like to say it because it comes from an ornery, neat-freak mother in this classic movie (adapted from a classic book). I can stand just like her, too, with my hands on my hips. Makes the kids giggle. 

Can you guess the movie? (Jess, I think you should be disqualified from the guessing for obvious reasons. But the reasons have nothing to do with you being ornery. Or being a neat freak. Although you may be both of those things. Only Margie would know for sure.)

~ Two boys and two girls. Oh, the messes and the laundry! But they bless my soul, so.

~ Children painting sea scenes today.

~ Mary telling me a few weeks ago: "Mommy, I don't think I'm going to let my kids go outside. Then I won't have so much laundry."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So very sweet, I love your posts! That picture is AMAZING I need it in my bedroom, with the caption. I love hearing your thankfulness in the mist of real life!

S. Etole said...

Loved "Sarah ..." The gophers and deer have eaten most of the tulips I had at one time. Spring is slowly coming anyway with daffodils forming buds and the rain bringing green to the lawn.

Thanks for the help with the bird ID!!

Sandi said...

Love the Spurgeon quote at the top. And as always, love your lists and glimpse into your days. I hear you about the insomnia....why lay there when there are things that could be done Lol! My rule is after 45 minutes to an hour I am just getting up and doing something.

Love to you

PS I think I am gonna start blogging again soon :o)

Lisa said...

Love these reminders about being thankful for the little things. It's so easy for me to look at the "big stuff" and get discouraged. And btw, we looove Sarah Plain and Tall. :)
Many more blessings to you, dear friend!