Thursday, March 8, 2012

Valleys




Psalm 27:1,3
The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war rise up against me, yet I will be confident.

For two years we experienced few illnesses--rare for a four-child family. Why such a reprieve? Only God knows. 


The last seven weeks we've had one horrific stomach virus, a cold virus followed by pink-eye, followed by another cold virus which morphed into bronchitis. 


My chest hurts, I'm weak, my throat is sore from all the coughing, and I wonder if husband--who is sick too but mildly in comparison--should call out from his afternoon job so he can take care of the children. Beth has it too.


Paul, whose post-nasal drip makes it hard for him to talk, whined yesterday, "Oh, Mommy. Will we ever be well again?"


Many people I know and love, including extended family members, walk in valleys right now. Their sorrows weighed on my heart last night, until I remembered the 23rd Psalm, my refuge words in times of stress.


The Lord has us walk through so many different valleys, doesn't He? While I don't like valleys, I'm grateful for them...for they give us an accurate picture of how BIG God is.


What is faith beyond just a belief in God? 


Faith is an intimate understanding of...


...how much God loves us.


...the heart miracles God performs.


...the lengths to which God goes to redeem brokenness.


...the joy and peace God plants in our hearts.


...the way God loves others through us.


...the way God empties us of self and replaces self with surrender...giving us oneness with Him.


...the way God supplies grace on time, every time.


Whatever valley you're in, give thanks for it. Valleys always reap more blessing than peaks. 


Indeed, valleys help us rejoice fully in our peaks, for we recognize a peak only after we've been through a valley.


How can I pray for you today, friend? It would be a privilege. Comments are on delay, not shown to the public until I okay them.


Psalm 23:1-4
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

James 1:2-4
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 

Deuteronomy 31:8
It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed. 

Deuteronomy 33:27
The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms. 

Psalm 16:8
I have set the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. 

3 comments:

Margie said...

I feel for you my friend. We have been in the same boat. However, my children, thankfully, are currently well. The hubby is in Italy again this time with a stomach bug that I had on Tuesday. Still eating bland foods but mostly better. I will be praying for you and the family. I am also praying for warmer dryer weather on the horizon for more outside time and fresh air.

Christine said...

I feel for your hubby. Hopefully they will let him out of at least one day of meetings. Glad you are feeling better, Margie. Thank you for your prayers.

Terri Tiffany said...

I will pray for you and your family! Oh how I relate to being in a valley and now appreciating my peak. Those lows really do make us see life so much differently.