Friday, March 9, 2012

Good Gifts

MATTHEW 7:11
If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!


Paul:  "Mommy, can you make some cookies? We don't have anything sweet."


Mommy:  Sorry, Paul. I'll make them this weekend maybe, if I'm feeling better. Why don't you call Daddy and ask him to bring you something sweet?"


Paul:  "But Daddy won't want me to bother him."


Mommy:  "Believe me, Paul. He won't mind. He's coming home an hour early to make dinner for us since Mommy is sick."


Paul:  "Well, I don't think he likes going to the store." (True. That man of mine hates grocery shopping.)


Mommy:  "Honey, he won't mind."


Paul gets the cell phone and calls Daddy, who is on his way home. 


Paul:  "Hi Daddy. It's me, Paul. I'm depressed because everyone is sick and I'm sick too. Can you bring me something sweet?"


Daddy:  "Yes, Paul. I'll bring you some donuts. Would that be okay?"


Paul:  "Thank you, Daddy. I love you. Thank you."


Paul gets off the phone, happy, relieved, grateful. Smiling.


Paul:  "Mommy, I love Daddy so much. He's just so nice, isn't he?"


Mommy:  "He is so nice. We are blessed to have him. I knew he wouldn't mind. That Daddy of yours understands comfort food."


Later, as husband labors over a taco dinner at the stove, I tell him what Paul said. From his big smile, I could tell. A daddy loves giving his children good gifts, just like Our Heavenly Father does.


What do you need to ask Him for today?





photo credit

4 comments:

Jess said...

praying you feel better and that this sickness kicks itself out of your house.

i meant to email to you i would be praying for the doctor's appointment and elevator issues and all...i did pray and am sorry the day was a tough one. wish i could hug you or just sit down to a cup of tea. my heart is walking with you.

and your husbandry? what a gem. such a sweet retelling- so thankful that you shared it with him. sounds as if it blessed him so. :)

take care, sweet pam, and get better!

Christine said...

You bless me, Jess. Thank you. The appointment did go pretty well for Peter. Thank you for praying. It just took Beth by surprise. She's already forgotten it, I suspect, because this morning she asked where her doctor kit was. :)

S. Etole said...

Praying for healing for all of you and renewed strength.

Think of you so often and your little ones.

Christine said...

Thank you, Susan. You are so kind! i appreciate you very much and really wished we lived close to you. :)