Friday, April 13, 2012

In Which I Owe the AWANA Teacher Some Chocolate

Fine Art Print of Interior at 'The Chestnuts' Wimbledon, Grandmother's birthday, by J.L. Dyckmans
Interior at 'The Chestnuts' Wimbledon, Grandmother's birthday
J.L Dyckmans



The kids missed AWANA last week because Mommy was too nauseous to drive them. Mary had cried because she really wanted to see her teachers.


Tucking Mary in after AWANA night this week, I asked: "Was it so good to see Miss Helen and Miss Erica again?"


Mary:  "Yes, but something happened to Miss Helen's hair. It's dried out. Why is Miss Erica's hair still black, but Miss Helen's is gray?"


My husband picks up the kids so I didn't see Miss Helen's hair, but based on Mary's description, I figured she must have frosted it. Both the teachers are pushing forty and maybe some gray was bothering Miss Helen?


Mommy:  "It sounds like Miss Helen may have dyed her hair, Mary. You didn't say anything about it, did you?"


Mary:  "Yes, I went up to Miss Helen and told her that her hair was dried out."


Mommy:  "Oh, boy. (Insert maternal shame and sorrow here.) That may have hurt her feelings, Mary. What did she say?"


Mary:  "Well, I didn't really understand this, but she just smiled and said thank you."


Yes, indeedy. I think I owe Miss Helen a sorry card and some chocolate. I'm sure they got a giggle out of Mary's comment....but still.


If I ever dye my hair, it will be a shade of brown as close to my natural shade as possible, until I'm over 65. 


photo source

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How cute, cringe moment for mommy.LOL We have experienced a few of those. I am sure Mrs Helen got a giggle out of her comment.

Lisa said...

How cute! I always cringe when I see one of my children in deep conversation with one of the people in our church family. I just breathe a quick prayer of, "Lord, please don't let them say anything they shouldn't say!" :)
Much love to you!

S. Etole said...

The sincere honesty of a child.