Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tuesday Devotions 4/24

Fine Art Print of Sunday in the Backwoods by Thomas Faed
Sunday in the Backwoods
Thomas Faed


Today's Text: Ephesians 5:1-21


1 Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children 2 and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.


Lord, you teach me that love is a verb. What Christ did on the cross? That was action--a giving up, a sacrifice of will, a deed. Help me to worship you with my actions. Please Father, may loving acts come out of me this day, reflecting you. And out of my husband and children as well.

 3 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. 

Lord, you give me everything I have, and you own everything. I can be generous with confidence, knowing that your stores do not run out. Help me to grow in faith, trusting you so that I can be exceedingly generous.

Lord, cleanse my heart and my home of anything that will give the enemy a stronghold in the area of impurity or sexual immorality. Protect me, my husband, and my children, wherever we are. May we be ever-watchful, protecting our children's innocence and purity. May you reign in our hearts and in our home, forevermore.


4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. 5For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a person is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.[a] 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7 Therefore do not be partners with them.

Lord, may our tongues act in obedience to you. May they reflect your presence in our hearts. Help us to choose friends wisely, staying away from those who seek to deceive our hearts. Give us daily discernment.


8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9(for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10 and find out what pleases the Lord. 

Lord, may I seek your truth and know what pleases you. Help me to stay in prayer throughout the day, and help me to seek your wisdom through the Word. May your Word wash me and replace my will with goodness, righteousness and truth. May my prayers give me strength and peace. Help me to choose you and please you.


11 Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 It is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. 13But everything exposed by the light becomes visible—and everything that is illuminated becomes a light. 14 This is why it is said:
   “Wake up, sleeper,
   rise from the dead,
   and Christ will shine on you.”

Lord, search my heart. What deeds or thoughts of mine reflect darkness, rather than light? Expose me to myself. May I reflect your light in all I do. 


15 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. 

Lord, I know you give me opportunities to shine...to do good. May I make the most of them, worshiping you with my life. May I help my children, as well, understand what your will is. May we pause to talk about you, however busy the day seems. Help me to guide them in righteousness, never missing an opportunity. Help my husband and children, as well, to pray without ceasing, to read their Bibles, hungry for wisdom and a washing. Hungry to live for you, Lord.

18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, 20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Lord, your spirit is all I need...all we need. You are always there for me, ready to help me shine your light. May I seek you, and allow you to transform my speech into "psalms, hymns, and songs from the spirit." May we worship you in this house, always giving thanks in the name of Jesus.

In your Son's holy name I pray,  Amen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is really beautiful! I love praying scripture, it is the best way to pray. Great passages, Thank you for sharing :)