Wednesday, February 24, 2010

a miracle?

Recently, I stated that my husband wouldn't adopt a baby unless God himself put the baby into husband's arms.

Well.

My heart is all a flutter.

Monday, husband came home from school, telling me that his classmate's fifteen-year-old son impregnated his fourteen-year-old girlfriend, while her mother worked the graveyard shift.

Several weeks prior to this, husband told me that classmate confided his son had been staying part of the night at his girlfriend's house.  He grounded him, and forbade a recurrence.  But he works a late shift as well, and is a single dad, due to his wife's cancer death.

The young girl is two months along, so I suppose the baby was already conceived at that point.  Her mother, by the way,  is a single mother.  Perhaps there wasn't any extended family to stay with her daughter at night, while she worked the graveyard shift.

It isn't known what the young girl and her mother will do.  Husband's classmate (baby's grandfather) hopes an abortion won't take place.

So do we.

It's none of our business.  Of course.

But, I did walk into our bedroom yesterday morning, while husband was studying for today's important exam.  Words spilled out, quite without thinking.  Heart spoke for me.

"Tell John I would gladly adopt that baby.  If we tell him soon, maybe an abortion won't be talked about.  If she doesn't want adoption, we can provide foster care indefinitely."

"Honey, we wouldn't qualify for either.  We are below the poverty level, and financial stability is a requirement."

I was dumbfounded at his ready answer.

"You mean.....you would consider it?  I thought you said you couldn't take another baby?"

"I don't want another baby.  But I don't want them to have an abortion either.  I would do it to save a life."

My friends, I could tell my husband had already given this some thought, on his own.

There is hope for my baby-loving, child-rearing heart, Friends.

There is hope!

I don't know details.  Details involved would be huge.  Yes, huge. Complicated.

And worrisome.  A young girl of fourteen or fifteen would be at very high risk for preeclampsia.  The baby could be born very early.

Husband said he would get me in contact with his classmate.

Heart is a flutter.  Don't know what to say.

God will give words.  Prepare hearts.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Christine, I can "hear" your fluttery heart. Praying for you today! And that precious life...

Katherine said...

That would be so wonderful. If it is God's will, He'll work out the details. I'll be praying for you both, and the baby and its family as well.