Wednesday, February 10, 2010

good things

When it snows and snows, and then snows some more, what do you feel like doing?  Sipping cocoa?  Playing games?  Cozying up together for a movie?  Getting crafty?

Around here, the answer is baking or applesauce making--if we have enough apples.  I'm trying hard not to bake up our favorite (chocolate chip cookies) very often, since nutritionally, it's a poor choice.  

But I still want to respect our sweet tooths.  

The answer for us?  We've been baking up healthy cookie bars, sweet breads, and fruit crisps.  Today we made a delicious pumpkin bread, substituting whole wheat flour for the white flour.  Compared to the 1 cup of butter in chocolate chip cookies, the pumpkin bread required only a half cup of olive oil.  The pumpkin was packed with fiber (and other wonderful things), and the wheat flour added three more grams, compared to less than one gram of fiber for white flour.  I personally love a grainy taste.  My family will get used to it--barely noticing the difference after a few months.  I plan to use only whole wheat flour for baking from now on.  They've all eaten whole wheat bread since infancy, so the transition to grainy baked goods shouldn't take long.  

The cookies require 1.5 cups of sugar, while the pumpkin bread calls for 1 cup--not a huge savings on sugar, but oh well.  I love all things pumpkin!

I'm glad Hubby took this picture. I will treasure it always, despite the cluttered-counter view.  I'm so grateful for the togetherness that homeschooling affords us.  It feels very right...for us.



I turned away to beat some eggs on the other counter and to help brother with a tricky math problem.  When I turned back to pour in the eggs, I saw this little darling up on brother's chair.  She's asleep now of course, but oh how I want to kiss that little nose!  Pictures always humble me, reminding me of the blessings before me.  In the chaos of a single day, that thought can get temporarily lost.  

We also baked up some butternut squash, with brown sugar, butter and cinnamon.  What a wonderful smelling house we enjoyed today!

Looks like we won't be making that homeschooling Valentine party tomorrow.  Two of our kids started wheezing on exertion today, and they all still have junky-sounding coughs, with sneezing and drainage.  We are so disappointed!  But, we have quite a bit of new snow, with more expected tomorrow.  The roads in the area of the party won't be plowed (country roads)--so maybe God is saving us from something?  I choose to look at it that way.

I hated to post about food tonight after reading two more Haiti stories. Lately, I cringe every time one of my kids complains about their food.  The depth of despair overwhelms!  I think many people will be forever changed by these stories--that's true for me.   Perhaps God's intent all along?  

Many are perishing now, but without some intervention and/or exposure in terms of their corrupt government, more and more would perish over many years.  The extent of the corruption is known well now, the world over.  Going forward, very little money will go directly to their government, bringing positive change over time. 

With continued coverage, more Americans will give on a regular basis--either their time, money, or talents.  I really believe that.  Between the effects of a serious recession, and the recent images of poverty and hunger, the American years of material gluttony are hopefully over.

Finally tonight, I want to include a bit about God's faithfulness and provision.  We did our taxes recently.  My jaw dropped at the final number for our 2009 income....less than $25,000.  Um, yeah.  For a family of six.  Shocking.  

And we aren't going hungry.  And we haven't defaulted on our mortgage.  And our credit is still good--except for the fact that we had to put car repairs on our credit cards.  A tax credit is coming our way (earned income credit).  It will be a cushion for the house payment going forward, which is a blessing.  Unemployment extensions expire shortly.

It could be far, far worse.  Next month will make a whole year of underemployment.

I stand amazed at the miracle.  Whatever you're going through, remember this......it isn't as big as your God.  Think about how he has held you up in the past.  We all have these stories.....whether financial or otherwise.  Write them down.  Build your faith--and your children's--with them.  God comes through in miraculous ways...feeding five thousand with a few loaves...making wine from water.  

Don't be downcast, thinking there is no solution.  It can be painful....and long....but God will sustain you, as he works things out for your good.

Romans 8:28  And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
















No comments: