Saturday, February 6, 2010

homemaking

When the whole family succumbs to illness, certainly prudent adult behavior would include going to bed early.  You would think so.  But is that what I did last night, given that my throat and head clearly screamed the need for rest?  NO!  Not me.  I seem incapable of such self-control, and had to eat humble pie about yesterday's fruit of the spirit post (self-control being a huge part of that Scripture).

No, I didn't speak harshly or behave poorly today.  But I'm sicker now, for the lack of sleep. Baby Beth tossed and turned in misery for a couple hours, right after I turned in at 1:30 a.m., mostly because Tylenol (generic)--all I had for infants--is a poor fever reducer.  I feel physically drained and horribly foolish.

Reminds me of the Scripture about Paul doing what he does not want to do.


 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.  
My husband tells me there is disagreement among theologians regarding this Scripture.  Some feel Paul is talking about the struggles of a Christian, while others feel Paul is referring to his own struggles before becoming a Christian. (Romans 7:15)

Anyhow, after working with the kids all day, going to bed is the last thing on my mind.  It has always been that way with me.  Having down time and doing things I can't do during the day--like read or write or follow the news--becomes powerfully tempting, no matter what my physical state.

Sarah Palin is to speak at the Tea Party Convention, and I have no TV reception (remember that lofty idea?).  I thought the Almighty Internet might have live news available, but not true, so far as I can tell.  Just quick clips after the fact.

So I wasted a lot of time last night trying to find coverage.  The blog remake went surprisingly fast, in comparison

But that isn't what I wanted to share tonight.

Lately, a passion for authentic homemaking--cooking from scratch, eating whole foods, etc.--consumes my thoughts.  I read this post about the lost art of homemaking, and I kept nodding my head.  That's me!  I wasn't taught anything about keeping a home.  For example, I need training in the following:

sewing
cooking
canning
freezing
knitting
mending
crafting
pie making
bread making
baking from-scratch cakes
wallpapering, painting
organization
making laundry detergent, diaper wipes

I really WANT to do all those things.  Not so I can fulfill some ideal picture of womanhood.  No, I've come to really value those things.  They aren't just tasks, in my mind.  I see them as part of the "nurturing package" that is homemaking.

When the rhythm of home life stems from these things, and from loving and schooling children, a simple existence results.  For these things take time and planning, and one can't be galavanting about town, with the family dispersed hither and yon.  The natural result of this rhythm is that the family is in the world, but not of the world.

I was raised with the notion that a woman should get an education so she won't have to rely on a man--not so much a practical teaching, as a "liberated", man-hating one (I think an education is wonderful).  Caring for children and a home was never put forth as a lofty ideal, or even as an option.  Different times, the sixties.  My parents--with the best of intentions--were products of the popular culture.  Without God as their foundation, I don't know how they could have become anything but that.  I'm not finding fault.

Nevertheless, I regret I didn't learn these homemaking skills before the children came.  Now, I'm busy and adding new skills presents a challenge.  But I'll learn some of them, and teach them to my children.  They can choose whatever they want for their lives.  I just don't want them to lack the building blocks of family cohesiveness.  Homemaking tasks are the building blocks, in my mind.


Small increments of progress.  That's my goal.  I will start with preparing my own beans, rather than using canned beans for chili and tacos.

I don't have canning supplies or the know how to prepare my own tomatoes right now, but I can make my own spaghetti sauce, rather than doctor up some Ragu. 

I can make my own taco seasoning.

I can make mac n' cheese from scratch, rather than rely on Kraft (real stuff doesn't appeal to kids as much, but they'll get used to it.)

I can make my own corn bread using corn meal, rather than purchase a Jiffy mix box.

I'll freeze berries and peaches this summer.

Then on some future day, maybe I'll learn to make my own whole-grain bread, and whole-grain tortillas, and whole-grain chips and pasta.

Sound good?  

Or are you rolling your eyes?

2 comments:

Paula said...

Oh, I think it sounds like wonderful goals! Slow and easy is definitely the way to go. You get overwhelmed otherwise.

I'll post my taco seasoning and ways to cook up lots of beans for freezing this week.

:)

Christine said...

Thank you, Dear Paula! I'm so glad I "met" you!