Saturday, February 27, 2010

camera drama

This represents the very last photo taken by our camera.  I took a picture of these cookie bars, and as I angled the camera just so to see if the photo was in focus, the camera dropped through my fingers, hitting the wood floor with a bang.  A rather disastrous bang, as it turned out.  The camera didn't recover.  

Before I get to the twist in the camera story, I wanted to tell you about the King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour I've been using in baked goods lately, including in these chocolate chip bars. It's an albino wheat with all the benefits of whole wheat, without the grainy taste.  No one around here detected any difference between this, and regular all-purpose white flour.  Although I liked the grainy taste of whole wheat flour in my baked goods, the kids didn't, and I feel good about serving them this alternative.  

Okay, back to the camera drama.  

About twenty-four hours prior to my mishap, husband talked about using some of the tax credit money to replace the camera (it's a sizable tax credit).  The flash had gone out several months after we received the camera as a baby gift in fall, 2008.  He wanted to get a better camera, and felt that such a purchase was bordering on a need, rather than a want, since the camera wasn't likely to work much longer.

He makes all the final financial decisions, while I only give input.  I rather like it that way, because God can blame husband when we mess up, and not me.  It just works for me.  Makes my life feel lighter, somehow, to not be culpable.  

Of course, I can't go around breaking cameras--especially not over chocolate chip cookie pictures. 

At the mention of a new camera, I reminded him initially that we needed to have as much cushion for the house payment as possible, since there still were so few jobs on the market.  We might really regret a camera purchase, in several months.

And I was serious.  I really thought it was a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad idea, to get a camera, when we had one that worked--albeit imperfectly.  

It just seems so strange that twenty-four hours later, I accidentally retire the camera. 

 I miss it horribly.  We took far too few pictures of the kids before being gifted the digital, and I've come to think of pictures as gifts--for our children and grandchildren.

The way it happened is just plain weird.  It's the sort of thing that makes me wonder what God is up to. A little too coincidental.  I've never dropped this camera before.

What was God trying to show me...or tell me?  Was I in fear of the future too much?  Not trusting God in regards to making timely house payments?  Or in regards to providing a job, despite a poor economy?

Maybe none of it's related.  I'm probably grasping too far, to process an everyday mishap

Anyway.  Husband is still planning on buying another camera.

And now, I'm happy about it.

And he's happy that I'm happy about it.  Because now, if we lose the house, it will seem like both our faults that we so foolishly spent money on a new camera.

Togetherness.  Out on the curb.  No roof over our heads, but a brand-new digital camera in our suitcase. 

That's wisdom folly to live by, wouldn't you say? 

My recommendation?

Don't try this at home.








6 comments:

Evenspor said...

That's kind of funny about the camera.

I have a question about the flour. I know they say when replacing white flour with whole wheat in a recipe, it's a good ide not to replace more than half, because it can change the baking properties. Is that the same with the white wheat flour, or can you completerly replace your white flour with the white wheat?

Christine said...

I completely replace the flour. It doesn't change anything, as far as I've been able to tell. Let me know what you think.

Paula said...

I love how humor can work to help calm our fragile nerves. And you just did a great job at it. :) I have a little sign up in our house that says, "A good laugh is sunshine in a house". I need to read it quite often. Laughter is so good for the soul, especially when life tends to be very stressful.

Enjoy the new camera. And continue to pray for the house payment. I totally understand how those things work. lol

:)

Paula said...

And the brownies look wonderful. I'm glad you got a pic of them.

:)

Christine said...

Dear Paula,
I'm so glad you read here! You get my issues. lol Every one else probably secretly thinks I'm nuts. God has a way of putting friends in place at just the right time, thankfully. Love that about him!

Sandi said...

I dropped my camera before our move, still haven't replaced it.
I miss it. Hardwood floors and cameras just don't mix.