Monday, July 19, 2010

a time to listen

Out to play on a summer's day.

I hid in the dining room, trying to capture a slice of childhood life.  Unposed play shots.  Do you think she knows I'm there?

Play is serious business.  I noticed that as I tried to get representative shots.  Concentrated faces.










After eighteen months of cooperation with hats, my girl has suddenly revolted.

No more hats, Mommy!

What?!  Too sweaty?  Try a damp hat.  It will keep you cool.

No more hats, Mommy!

Can't see well enough?  I'll adjust it.

No more hats, Mommy!

Not the right fit?  Here are some others.

No more hats, Mommy!





They all made a John 3:16 VBS T-shirt.

Ending our day with dessert.  We haven't had time to make anything lately, until today.
_____________________________
Beth's sleeping has gotten progressively worse in recent days.  She's cutting what I think is her last tooth, until we get to the second- and third-year molars.

Last night I put her down rather easily at 6:30 p.m., but she woke up five times before 11:00 p.m.  It complicated the other children's story and bedtimes, and just generally led to mayhem.  Usually, her wake ups occur after the others are asleep.

As I lay there nursing her for the third time last night, unable to get the other children to bed on time, I said to God:

"Why this mayhem, God?  When I have no help at night? My nerves are shot tonight!  Is this about you trying to get my attention?  What is the message?  Help me to catch on, God, so we can have some normalcy.  Help my little girl with her discomfort."

Then, I just lay there, trying to listen to the Almighty.  And while I waited, it occurred to me that I'd gotten out of the habit of praying for my family's salvation during Beth's nursing times.  The underemployment situation has become so worrisome that when I lay down with Beth, it has become my "quiet" worry session, instead of an intercessory prayer time.

Lightbulb moment!  He was trying to get my attention!

The message is, I think, just this:

The Almighty:  "The Earth is mine and everything in it--including your house.  And the money you need to make your house payment?  That's mine too.  Get your focus back on my Kingdom, and off your daily bread and shelter--off your own problems, to be exact."

So often, when things become ridiculously difficult, this is exactly why.

He, the Almighty, Living God, has something to say.

You best just listen up.

No comments: