Tuesday, July 13, 2010

putting our talents to use

Contemplating a daycare business today, run with my husband's help.  We both have teaching gifts and we have a yard and teaching materials, a multitude of books, some good traditional toys, and a house conducive to this type business.

While my husband has trouble being patient with my ADHD son, he is plenty patient with our other children, and was very patient when we ran a daycare in 2006, and in parts of 2007.  Babies aren't his forte, true, but they are certainly mine.

At most, we had two children at a time: a fourteen-month-old baby girl, and a three-year-old preschooler girl.  They were very happy here.  Unfortunately, I had to say goodbye to them when I suffered severe morning sickness with Mary's unexpected pregnancy.  The parents were upset with me, as it is a hardship to find new childcare--both for the parents and for their children, who need stability while Mom and Dad are away.  I felt terrible, but saw no other option.  I was really struggling to care for my own children.  Husband worked second shift and helped me until 2:30 p.m., but that wasn't enough.

During the time I babysat, I spent three to four hours a night cleaning my house.  I had no free time!  It was perhaps the hardest I'd ever worked in my life.  I don't relish the return of that pace of life, but in order to save the house, I don't see another option.

Our children enjoyed having the other children here.  It will be hard for my Beth at first to have less of Mommy.  God will have to provide the grace we'll need, just as he would if I had more biological children.  I've learned a lot from blogs on running large families.  We would essentially be adding to our family, and would have to treat each child the same.

There is no financial stability in the daycare business, and no health benefits, so it isn't ideal.  But, it puts our God-given talents to good use.  I know how to be a blessing to children, and I can be a non-judgmental support to parents, whatever their lifestyle.

It all starts with an ad in the newspaper.  So long as I can keep up with the cost of the ad, I will give this a go.  And see how God provides.

2 comments:

Andrew & Terri said...

You might consider posting your ad on Craigslist as well. It's free and you can make it as detailed as you like!

Praying that God finds just the right kiddos to spend the days with your family.

Terri

Christine said...

Thank you, Terri. I have never used Craigslist, but will try to figure it out after the kids go to bed. That would be better than a regular ad in the paper. I could put a less-costly ad in the Thrifty, to add to the Craigslist ad.