Monday, November 1, 2010

smile - here's why

Saturday featured a haircut for Momma--a six-inch trimming of one-length hair, leaving it an inch below the chin. I walked into the house expecting only stares, remembering the non-event my last big haircut was.  Instead, I got nothing.  I mean nothing.  Not even a sideways glance, people.  And if I must say so myself, it looks 100% better.  Really.

There are positives in this whole thing.  I'll list them:

- They love me for me, not because of my looks.

- They aren't noticing my wrinkles and inelastic skin, either.

- They aren't noticing that one's neck ages first.  (Put sunscreen on your neck and hands, all you thirty-somethings).

- They aren't noticing that the acne scars on my chin age me about eight years.  I asked the beautician to be sure and keep my chin covered with hair, as I'd hate to have my acne scars highlighted.  She said, "Honestly, I didn't even notice them."   Beauticians are special people!

I found looking into the mirror during my haircut, with the daylight shining in on me, to be a sobering experience.  What it taught me:

- Smiling makes even old people look attractive.  Smile.  Smile.  Smile.  You can never smile too much.  It's an outward adornment of which Jesus wholeheartedly approves!

- If you think your wrinkles are ugly now, just think how you must look yelling, arguing, or scowling.  Yikes!  Aging is good for only one thing:


It forces us to build our inner beauty, which is only accomplished by setting our gaze on God and eternity.


Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.
1 Peter 3:3-7

2 comments:

Paula said...

Hi, Christine --

I bet your new haircut is awesome!

Thank you so much again for your comment on my blog. I just can't seem to get back in the swing with the addition of 20 hours each week at a job. My days are too full with all my obligations. But I miss it so much and really do want to come back to the blogging world!

Yes, I'm still at the bookstore and enjoying it very much. I have found, though, that I really miss being in an office environment and working at a desk and computer. Of course, my dream life is out in the country with chickens and a garden, so I seem to be all over the place with what I really want to do. :o)

I do still read your blog regularly, along with several others, so I've not totally left the blog world. I am just really bad about commenting and writing on my own blog. Still praying for your family and your situation. God is so good to us and I enjoy reading your writings so much. You have a wonderful way with words and showing your love for the Father.

Paula

Christine said...

It's wonderful to hear from you, Paula! I, too, would love the chickens and garden--a whole farm even! :)