Friday, February 10, 2012

Purple Towels And Princesses



A gift certificate to spend, Mary tells us on the way to the library:

"I'm getting princess things so I can wear them to AWANA. I want to be a princess when I grow up and you have to dress like what you want to be."

Peter tries to change her mind, hoping she'll pick something at Toys R Us that all the siblings can enjoy together.

Peter:  "Mary. You can't be a princess. We're not a royal family. "


Mommy:  "We're not a royal family? Oh.  I thought we were. We have purple towels, you know."


Peter, exasperated:  "Mommy!"


Paul:  "Yeah, Mary. There's no such thing as royalty in America. You can't be a princess here."


Mary:  "Yes, I can."


Beth:  "I want a princess dress too!"  


Peter:  "You have to have a father and mother that are King and Queen, to be a princess. We don't have Kings and Queens here."


Mary:  "You guys are hurting my feelings."  


Mommy:  "Mary, when you get married, your husband will think you are his princess. And in God's eyes too; we are all his favorites, like princesses and princes in a way, because He is our King. And of course, you'll always be my little princess.


The van falls quiet for a few minutes. I vow to remember this conversation always, like so many we have in the van. Life is lived in the journey, not the destination.

I love journeying with this bunch.

Peter:  "Well, if she plays princess, can I pretend to be a prince?"

Mommy:  "Sure you can."


My sweet Peter has a foot in both worlds--childhood and adulthood. On the one hand, he thinks more like a grown-up now: if there's no royalty in America, then his sister can't be a princess. But a big part of him still loves fantasy and pretending. He'll come up with some grand scheme for all the siblings to be part of a royal court. They'll have a enchanted time, just as siblings ought to.

He's my imaginative one. I pray when he grows up, he'll be able to slip easily into an enchanted world.


With his own children.


I mourn the loss of play in my own life. I've fallen for adulthood. Fully.

Father, may my children never stop dreaming. May they always feel the possibilities.

photo source

3 comments:

Lisa said...

How sweet, Christine! And I love your words, "Life is lived in the journey, not in the destination." I will have to put that one in my quote book. :)
((Hugs)),
Lisa

Christine said...

I wish I could give you a big hug, Lisa! Your comments bless me. Thank you!

Sandi said...

Love this post. I agree with Lisa...love that quote.

Thanks for you thoughtful note at my blog. Life is crazy right now. The church did split and we are just trying to work through that ourselves and help others do the same. There is good in this believe it or not....God is good!

Much love and thanks for your prayers.