Monday, March 8, 2010

financial info on Compassion International

I didn't mean to post so many times in one day--just worked out that way.

I shared Kristen's From Hell Kenya blog post with my husband and two boys.  Tough to read it and see the images without forever being changed.  My older children needed to understand why it's unacceptable to complain about chores or about the food they're served. I also wanted them to be moved enough to cheerfully give away a portion of their financial blessings (their money from extra chores).

The boys were not traumatized by the blog post.  The featured 18-year-old student's faith inspired my Peter (age 8).  He was moved to tears, as was my husband.  Paul (age 6) was just very sad to see the conditions.

I wanted to post some information I researched about Compassion International.  My husband asked me to find out about administrative costs before making a decision about sponsoring a child.  He was pleased with the financial report.

The organization spends 82% of funds on Child Programs, 10% of funds on fundraising, and the remaining 8% on administration costs.  Find out more here.  I verified this information using a charity fact site (not affiliated with CI).

No comments: