Saturday, March 13, 2010

goodbye for now

Larger families living in smallish homes need to declutter at least half-yearly.  This is no longer something that I should do.  I have to do it, seeing as how my sanity left sometime in early February.  We haven't seen it since--my sanity, that is.

I had a baby in December, 2006 and another in December, 2008.  Non-stop diapers and spills and spit-up and toddler-rescues quickly took over my time.  Every task is a right now task.  All this, coupled with the extra laundry generated by the rain, snow and mud of Northeast Ohio, rendered decluttering a some-day dream.

But no more excuses, real or perceived.  Now I have a plan.  I needed a plan.  Because I rather like my sanity.  We had a good thing going all these years.

Today I moved every container of children's clutter (and some paper clutter) into the living room.  This project will be a clandestine affair.  I will organize and bag up at night, and then load the van with the loot.  By day, I'll shuttle it to Goodwill or to the church nursery.

We'll attempt to keep the children out of this--they were told only that Mommy will be organizing.  One in particular, my Paul, cries and stresses if I throw even a broken toy away.  This reaction is rather recent, so we're thinking it stems from underemployment stress.  He won't miss the things I'm purging, so I don't think we'll have any problems.  Many of them were already taken out of the playroom and stored in the baby's room.  We had to do it this way, when she began ravaging the playroom on a hourly basis.

I should add that we have no garage or basement--two sanity-savers most moms utilize in toy management.

I am treating myself like quite the child in all this.  I won't be blogging again until the job is done.  Blogging is the reward.  Next time you hear from me, my friend sanity will be back.

I hope.

Bless you!

P.S.  I turned 44 yesterday.  Oh, the horror!  While the whole thing proved significantly depressing (no cake or anything--we're too busy with everyday chores to observe much of anything right now) something good did come out of it.  $125 from relatives.  I got my camera!

The other day Beth sat down in a soup pot--looking so cute!  I mourned the loss of the camera so much that day!  It's only a material thing, but one that makes memories live on.  I'm so grateful we could replace it!

3 comments:

Margie said...

Happy Birthday! I am sending you thoughts of warm chocolate cake. I hope the purging goes well. I cleaned out the Goodwill pile in the closet this afternoon and have everything bagged. I left the bags at the bottom of the stairs to make sure that I take them to Goodwill on Monday. I understand your stress of needing to purge the clutter as it bothers me tremendously as well. Wishing you much luck my friend. I hope it all goes well and that you are able to return to blogging soon! Thinking of you often!

Sandi said...

Happy Birthday! My 40th was the 3rd. To bad we couldn't share some cake.

I still have so much unpacking to do...maybe I should make my reward blogging.

Will see you when sanity returns :o)

Jess said...

oh happy birthday! i am sorry for the no cake but glad for the birthday money for the camera! :) i have to say i am jealous of your purge as my husband and i have been discussing how we seriously need to get a move on. this is the longest we've lived somewhere... and moving has always 'helped' us have the eyes to see what needs to go and what can stay. i can relate to that being something that would greatly increase my sanity...now if i could only get a move on it.

anyhow, random thought. i was making some homemade granola bars (did use peanut butter) and was wondering if that was a recipe you would want or that would fall in line with your whole foods plan. alright sweet thing...attack that house and best of luck with getting your sanity back! :)