Wednesday, March 10, 2010

scrumptious

Do you put your children to bed and then go right into the chores?  If so, what's your secret?  How do you motivate yourself at that time?  I need help!

I like to read and write first instead; it relaxes me and sorts out my thoughts.  Husband is only home on Tuesday and Thursday nights, and his presence on those nights helps motivate me to do chores earlier.

Other nights, I immediately sit and read or write after tucking in the last child.  My mind sorts my thoughts into mental file folders so they can be given separate themes.  The themes then get prioritized, and learning and focus occurs. Sounds crazy, but I do better spiritually when I make time for this thought-sorting.  Must have to do with being an analytical, introspective personality?

After a couple thought-sorting hours my night person body shifts into higher gear, and I do chores.  Beth wakes up for nursing a few times before 2 a.m., and sometimes I fall asleep nursing her, only to wake up at 3 a.m. or so and realize I didn't finish the dishes or shuffle the laundry that one last time.

This is a terrible system, if you can call it that!  I get little sleep and feel foolish the next day, but I seem incapable of making a change right now.  The kids are so little and it's all so emotionally exhausting.  Still, I know all about the "me time" trap--the more you get the more you want, followed by getting less done around the house and feeling more frustrated.

Suffice it to say, when dealing with little ones life is far from balanced.  I don't want to be a slave to perfectionism, or cross over into selfishness.  My family deserves folded socks and underwear, tucked properly into drawers--not into clothes baskets.  My baby is older now so I don't have that excuse any longer!  Time to get back to efficiency.

God, get me off this roller coaster!  Help me with self-discipline in this area!

Do I need some kind of token economy system, like a child would use?  If I do the chores first four nights in a row, I can get a treat?  Tell me I'm not that immature!

Off my frustrations now.....

...and on to that cornbread review.  The  3-Minute Microwave Cornbread was delicious.  My husband said it would never work--that the microwave would dry it out.  But no!  It was wonderfully moist and delicious.  I added some extra sugar, as I like my cornbread to have a good hint of sweetness.

The black bean soup was scrumptious!  I'll post that recipe sometime soon.

On to those dirty dishes, that cluttered counter, and that last load of laundry.

Good night, Friends!

2 comments:

Liz said...

I would not called my self a super disciplined person and I certainly don't have it all figured out. Fortunately though, I stumbled across Flylady when my daughter was a newborn. Her focus is on doing things in 15 minute increments and building routines. I can't begin to tell you how often those two principles have saved me. My routines keep me on track and if I still feel overwhelmed I set a timer for 15 minutes and get started. If all is in disarray, I always start with my kitchen sink. Once the kitchen is cleaned and the sink is sparkling, everything else seems so much more doable. My only other tip is that I really enjoy listening to teaching on Moody radio while I cook, clean and fold laundry.

Christine said...

Thank you, Liz. I have all FlyLady's materials, except for her timer, which quit working. Her material is very effective, but not as useful with constant diapering and pottying, and the daily schooling going on. It's hard to stick with a routine when most of the interruptions require my immediate attention. I know she says countless times that her methods work even with multiple small children around, but I disagree. They don't take the emotional exhaustion into account, from being constantly needed.

I could just be a very undisciplined person, making poor excuses. I don't know. I will pray more consistently about this--that's for sure.