Saturday, August 7, 2010

My Saturday List

My blessing list for Saturday:

- Baby Beth in the bathtub, playing with spice containers and their handy-dandy flip lids. What happens when you start cooking from scratch?  You go through a lot of spices!  The containers make great bath toys!  She has such a good time that she kicks me and hollers something fierce when it's time to leave the bath.

-  That last part is not included in this blessing list, mind you.  I just had to emphasize how much she loves spice bottles.  One night I decided to give her the electric toothbrush to play with while I put lotion and a diaper on her.  So far, so good.  I'm receiving fewer kicks.  Fewer kicks is a blessing.

- Baked ziti with lean Italian turkey sausage.  Yum.

- You know the Breyers natural vanilla ice cream with the vanilla bean specks?  Walmart now makes their own version of it with the same ingredients. Tastes exactly the same for over a dollar less.  That's a blessing!

- We love chili!  I make a double batch and enjoy the leftovers for lunch for a few days after.  We top it with colby-jack cheese and serve with corn bread (if I can get it baked).  Do you ever add salsa to your chili?   Try this chili recipe we invented:

- 1 jar Newman's Own Black Bean and Corn Salsa in medium spice.  Oh la la!  (All natural ingredients)
- 2  to 3 cans of black beans (or soak your own black beans)
- 1 bag of steamed corn
- 1 can of chili-ready tomatoes
- 1 pound of 93% lean ground turkey or ground beef
-  1 1/2 Tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder or use refrigerated garlic (I don't have time to chop onion or garlic.)
 - Chili powder to taste

- And to save time, this five minute microwave cornbread is a blessing.

- Okay, enough with food.

- My Paul loves football.  He has a stuffed football he plays with in the house frequently, acting as announcer and solo football player, tossing the ball to his other arm as he makes his way down the hall.  It's hilarious!  He does the same thing out in the yard with a nerf football.  Baby Beth witnesses this scenario often, and apparently thinks it looks like great fun.  She actually started imitating it while I was cooking the other night, using the word "foo" for football.  I was so tickled that I started playing with her and taking photos to capture this funny memory.  She was all giggles!  The football almost made it into the chili!  My girl has a good arm!














- Walks with my children

- Paul obsesses about football and puzzles/board games, and Peter obsesses about catching/studying insects and swimming.  They are learning to submit to one another in love by playing what the other desires, even when they don't feel like it.  They do it for the love of companionship.  I think their differences and the compromises required are training them to be good husbands and fathers.  God gave them the gift of each other for a reason--to sharpen and bless one another.  That's one of my top three reasons for homeschooling:  Gleaning all that God intended from family relationships.

- The joy on Mary's face when she catches a butterfly or moth or cricket.  She is quite the tomboy, while still loving femininity.  I'm so blessed by her fun-loving, sweet nature.  

- My husband, who is trying so hard to provide for us.  He just picked up six more hours, making it a total of fifty working hours per week and eight school hours, plus studying.  He is overwhelmed and cranky often, to be sure, but he makes a conscious effort to be a blessing to each child, and to me.  I'm so grateful for him! 

No comments: