Monday, March 28, 2011

the blessing of a simple life

It was ten o'clock on a Sunday morning.  My children had already had 25 minutes each on a pbskids.com computer activity.  They had already had a morning snack.  The little one had already viewed half a Barney video.

 It was in the low 30's outside and windy, as it had been for several days.

My children were dangerously bored.  I had no car.  Daddy wasn't expected home until 3:00 PM, and shortly after that, our day would speed up with dinner and baths and church prep.

I had a lot of folding to catch up on, and I wanted it done before the school week began.  Entertainment director?  No time for that.

Part of me felt sorry for my kids.  Other families, the ones with decent jobs and/or dual careers, were out having family fun, while we were spending another day at home.

Were my kids disadvantaged?

In my heart I knew the answer was no.  I pushed aside all thoughts to the contrary.

My kids have an intact family with loving--not perfect, but loving--Christian parents.  They have shelter, food, safety, clothes and freedom to worship.

It may be years before they'll know what a vacation is like.  Or what a decent restaurant is like.  Or what a new car feels like.  But where in the Bible does it say we're to provide those things?

The world's way is so provocative and convincing, isn't it?  Since when do kids need anything at all, except for love, shelter, food, clothes, and safety?

I told the Lord I didn't want the computer or TV on and would he please help me?

Just set things out, he whispered.  Let them do the rest.

I set out cardboard to cover the table.  I set out glue, markers, paper, tape, pencils, pens and scissors.

They created.  We prayed.  They watched birds out the window.  They read books.  Daddy came home and did model painting with Paul.  Next he took them for a walk while I prepared dinner.  They got baths and played with the foam letters.  We had taco bake together, followed by church, then home at 8:30, followed by pajamas, brushing teeth and bedtime.

No, it wasn't the best day of their lives.  But after my prayer, they didn't mention boredom again.

I remembered Sally's loaves and fishes and I gave the day over to Him. What do you want me to do next, Lord?  I'll do it, whatever it is.


One of the things he spoke to me today was this:  Don't worry about giving them things or experiences.  Those don't make a life.  They are fleeting. Instead, show them how to live for me--how to be worshipful, faithful, sacrificial, long-suffering, and thankful.

Material wealth creates distractions.  It provides too many choices--go there, experience this, buy that. When it comes to building a foundation of faith and agape love, simpler is better.

Other than a joyful personal relationship with God, do you know what I hope they leave my home with?

An open, thankful heart for whatever God gives.

God only gives good things. If they get an old, two-hundred thousand mile van, instead of a new Lexus, then it's good.  It's better.  Accept it with thanksgiving and praise.  I want that kind of faith for them.  That kind of gratitude.  I want them to live in this world, but not be of this world.


Romans 12:2 NIV

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.









































4 comments:

Sandi said...

beautiful and so true. I will have to try that....just putting stuff out and seeing what happens. I need to get over my mess aversion though :o)

Christine said...

Hi Sandi! Good to hear from you. My third and fourth children forced me to go over my mess aversion! :) There were pretty constant messes after that.

Unknown said...

Hi! Thanks for posting this. It's something I need at this time. :) God bless you!

Mich of www.citygirlcountryhomeph.blogspot.com :)

Christine said...

Mich Nicolas, thank you for stopping by! I appreciate your encouragement. Blessings to you too! :)