Tuesday, March 15, 2011

speech timetables and larger life lessons

Thanks to a very sweet speech teacher I've met through this blog (thanks Connie!), I was able to assess where Beth is at in terms of consonant mastery.  She is within normal range, but only because normal range is so wide.  Each child is hardwired to learn language at a certain time, given normal stimulation and a lack of hearing difficulties or other handicaps.

Here is a chart that outlines which sounds should be mastered by what age:

speech sounds

I've listened carefully over the last twenty-four hours and found that she has all these sounds in the initial position:

p, m, b, n, k, g, d, t (still lacking /h/ and /w/)

And yet still, I can't understand much of what she's saying.  She only uses first syllables.

I'm praying about whether to spend the $40 on the Teachmetotalk DVD. Based upon advice from Connie, I've succeeded in encouraging Beth to add some second syllables (just today).

I know how to fill them with language (receptive), but drawing it out (expressive) is harder for me.

Just thought I'd bring you along with me in the process, in case someone out there is dealing with the same issue.

I remember watching Beth walk across a relative's grass when she was just nine months old.  A family party was going on.  Everyone thought the early walking feat was amazing.  I'm sure my cousin-in-law, who had a baby around the same time, wondered why her baby was just learning to sit up.

I kept my mouth shut, not gloating.  I knew that come talking time, my baby would be lacking, and their daughter would probably be flourishing.  They would think--human nature is like that--that I was probably doing something wrong.

Every baby and every family is different, and comparing is never wise.  Nor is gloating.

Their baby ended up walking at eighteen months, just like my cousin--the baby's father--had done.

God plans our paths.  All we can do is educate ourselves and do our best--learning humility in the process.

My part, right now, is to get on the floor and play!  My little one is awake.

Wish me giggles?



No comments: