Wednesday, March 30, 2011

let the peace of Christ rule; and be thankful

And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Colossians 3:15


Expressing my thankfulness here today!

* My nine-year-old boy has dreams.  He wants to be a farmer so he can work beside his family; togetherness is everything to him.  Or he will be a forest ranger, helping people discover nature.  On the side he will do nature photography and write for nature magazines, and also write books for kids interested in nature.  These thoughts swirl round his head and I'm blessed to listen to his dreams.  I know his God-given passions will take him far and my Momma-heart is happy.

* The roaring din at the table is too much and I'm desperate for some verbal order--as in, taking turns to speak.  Asking probing questions always lowers the headache-inducing noise :"If you were given $100 what would you do with it, Paul?"  He answers:  "Save it!"  I ask it of Peter:  "I would buy some bird feeders and give the rest to the Lord."  Their answers bless me.  Mary would buy some birdfeeders for Peter.

* Beth is nursing in the rocker after her nap.  I can't resist.  I whisper it.  "I love you, Beth."  She stops nursing and comes up to kiss me, smiling I love you too.

* Cuddles with all four in the big bed.

* My nine year old taking third helpings of crockpot ham and potatoes

* Sons reading Scripture at the table.

* Jack the hamster soothing Peter's nerves, providing loyal, sleepy love in the middle of the day.

* Seven- and nine-year-old boys appreciating Momma's soul-soothing rocker.

* A husband who's strong when I'm weak and always ready with grace.

* Ann writes on page 180 of her book: "This is the way a body and a mouth say thank you:  Thy will be done.  This is the way the self dies, falls into the arms of Love."  In Luke 1:38, Mary, mother of Jesus, says, "Let this happen to me as you say!"  Ann writes of Mary: "In Mary's humility--her willingness to die to her expectations and plans--God exalts her.  In her submissiveness to His will, He fills her emptiness with fullness of Himself.  Her refrain of humble, surrendered gratitude quietly sings through all ages."  Aren't Mary's words some of the most beautiful in the Bible?

* Sweet emails from a friend over the weekend. (Thanks, Connie!)

* Peter reading Goodnight Moon to Beth, freeing Momma to prepare dinner.

* Mary mastering most of her letters and sounds without a single lesson. When they're on fire for learning, we just need to facilitate by having materials around.  I love that about young children! (ABC puzzles, foam bath letters, magnet letters, simple ABC books, print on the walls)

* God changing my heart so profoundly these last three years.  I don't resemble what I once was. He seems to peel off layer after layer, even while we daily struggle with sin.  He picks a few things to work on at a time, and when fruit appears, he goes on to another area.  He really does do all the work!  We can rest in that.

* Writing my heart out on this screen these last thirty-nine months--1026 posts in all, between my starter blog and this one.  God speaks to me here and I can listen well in the quiet of the late night.

* Peter and Paul choosing to read for pleasure twice today.

No comments: