Wednesday, March 23, 2011

what His grace looked like today


Sometimes, as we gaze out at the squirrels' antics, I am certain their show is from God.  I believe it is a deliberate act of grace for my children and me, because we are so isolated, with scant amusement some days. I am sure it is Him.  He has trained me to look for--to notice--His graces.  It's as if He says to me, "I am here.  You are loved.  I have plans for you.  Wait for me.  Delight in me."




Daddy doesn't like starlings; he views them as nuisance birds.  Ousting and picking on one of God's creatures seems wrong to me.  I try to discourage Peter from thinking in this way.  

One day, engrossed in a bird book, Peter learned that starlings eat Japanese Beetles, which we happen to have a problem with.  We suspect they've infested our cherry and pear trees.

Since learning this, Peter has tried to convince Daddy that we should, after all, allow starlings to feed here, because having them around would help with our beetle problem.

I have to say, I am so proud of Peter!  Daddy still isn't impressed, but we're working on him.  :)


Reeling from a few headache-filled days, I was feeling down today about taking so much Excedrin.  It worries me, since the liver can be affected by acetaminophen (one of the ingredients in Excedrin Tension Headache).

Miss Beth was draining me further today, with her activity level.  

Well, recently our chipmunk emerged from winter hiding. Thrilled to find dried corn cobs on the lawn, he has visited often of late.  

This morning I pulled Beth away from an interesting drawer she was rummaging through, and lifted her to watch Mr. Chipmunk from the window. Presently a squirrel came along, intimidating the chipmunk, who then scurried away.  I told Beth to say, "Bye, bye, chipmunk."  She said it with perfect articulation!  I was so blessed.  

Suddenly, God spoke right to me.  Yes, I am sure it was Him.  He said, "That perfect sentence was from me.  I know your head hurts.  I know you're discouraged.  My grace is sufficient for now.  I love you."



"Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
my Savior and my God."

~Psalm 43:5 (NIV)

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
~Philippians 4:6-7 (NASB)

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."~Ephesians 3:20-21 (NIV)

"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the
Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."
~Romans 5:2b-5 (NIV)


No comments: