Tuesday, March 22, 2011

combating fear, the answer

Do you worry?  Suffer from fear?  Is it about the now....or the tomorrow? Do you have the ability to calm yourself?

In chapter eight of Ann Voskamp's book, One Thousand Gifts, she writes of the ulcer she had as a young girl.  She was a very anxious child--and an anxious adult too (agoraphobic)--until she realized something.

Counting God's gifts combats fear.

As she continued with her initial list of 1000 gifts, she found, quite accidentally, that looking back on what God had already faithfully done, provided a bridge for going forward, without fear.

I have done this.  It works.  When we've faced worrisome, scary things, I made lists of Big Things God Has Done.  Doing this exercise allows me to go forward with the assurance provided us in Matthew 6:25-34 (Scripture source found here).

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[e]?   28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Nowadays, when worry runs amok in my life, it involves one of three things:

-  I'm under the influence of cyclical hormones that overpower me emotionally and intellectually.  I realize many of you cringe when a woman speaks of cyclical hormones--especially in a public forum--but I find it significant and unique in a woman's journey, and nothing to be ashamed of. It is from God, so what shame is there?  Did He know that the Marthas of the world needed to weep at His feet at regular intervals--unable to help themselves....at the end of themselves?  During these times, I need a lot of Christian music; it seems to be the only soul-healer that works.  Getting lost in words of praise to my Lord brings me to tears, and then back to joy. (Back to back pregnancies and nursings were a godsend to me, in the previous ten years.)

Other causes of worry:

- I've not faithfully bathed myself in the Word--too many busy days in a row.

- I've not taken the time to list my blessings.  I need this exercise several times a week.

Here is an excerpt from chapter 8, from Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts, p.161.  She imagines God having this conversation with her:

All fear is but the notion that God's love ends.  Did you think I end, that My bread warehouses are limited, that I will not be enough?  But I am infinite, child.  What can end in Me?  Can life end in Me?  Can happiness?  Or peace?  Or anything you need?  Doesn't your Father always give you what you need?  I am the Bread of Life and My bread for you will never end.  Fear thinks God is finite and fear believes that there is not going to be enough and hasn't counting one thousand gifts, endlessly counting gifts, exposed the lie at the heart of all fear?  In Me, blessings never end because My love for you never ends.  If My goodnesses toward you end, I will cease to exist, child.  As long as there is a God in heaven, there is grace on earth and I am the spilling God of the uncontainable, forever-overflowing-love-grace.

Her book is not an easy read; it's not a book you devour.  But it's a must read.  I see why God allowed deep sorrow in her life.  He gave her the gift of words--beautiful, poignant words--to tell the story of His love, His sustenance, His faithfulness, His joy.  This is His book, written to redeem Ann's tears, and the tears of all the brokenhearted.

I hope it continues to climb bestseller lists (number 11 on hardcover advice books-NY Times).

You'll find more beautiful, poignant words at Laura's blog, The Wellspring. She is another favorite Christian writer of mine, and she too, suffered through childhood.  I see God using her words, her tears, similarly.  Her poetry is breathtaking!



No comments: