Saturday, March 19, 2011

Is it grace or works?

I love Christian blogs.  More importantly, I need them.  With no second car and a husband outside the home 67 hours a week (partly commuting hours), I am isolated.  Blog reading and writing make me feel connected.

But, there's a caveat.  Have you noticed that Christian blog hopping can make your head spin?

One minute you're reading about should-dos, like spending your time wisely and blessing your kids with your presence, and acting se*y to bless your husband, and the next you're reading about how it's all grace, all the time.

So which is it?  Works or grace?

You probably think I'm going to say it's both, right?  Because faith without works is dead?

James 2:14-18 (source here)
What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

Well, yes, faith and works go hand in hand.

But I've noticed something in my fourteen years as a Christian.

It all depends on where you're at.  God always meets you where you're at.  He never overburdens.  

Are you battling something big, like a cancer diagnosis, a job loss, a miscarriage or infertility?  The loss of a child, spouse, or extended family member?  Do you have full care of a special-needs child or adult?  Did you just become a Christian?  Did you just find out your husband is cheating?  Do you have a hormonal imbalance?  Did you just move across the country?  Are you depressed?  Did you just have a baby?  Is your husband abusive?  An alcoholic?  Is your husband away and you're parenting solo?  Are you a single mom...or a very young mom?  Are you isolated?  Do you deal with chronic pain or insomnia?

The Lord knows what's on your plate.  He put it there, or at the very least, he hasn't taken it away.

So the answer is, cling to Jesus.  You'll find your way, through Him.



2 comments:

Evenspor said...

That's exactly what we believe. He expects to help ourselves as much as we can, then He meets us where we're at and makes up the difference. Because we could never do it without Him.

Christine said...

Good to hear from you, Evenspor. I loved your last pregnancy post!