Friday, May 13, 2011

do you covet a different story?

When life becomes hard or intense, we engage in self-talk that ultimately worsens our situation--or at least our perception of it.  I label this, in my own head, the "it would better if..." self-talk.

Here are some examples (not necessarily from my own life):

- It would be better if I hadn't married so early.....so late.

- It would be better if I had more support.

- It would be better if I'd picked a different major in college.

- It would be better if I didn't have allergies.....migraines.......asthma.......OCD......ADHD......cancer.

- It would be better if I had a newer vehicle....dryer.....washer......mower.

- It would be better if I worked days.....nights.......or didn't have to work weekends.

- It would be better if I'd come from a Christian home.

- It would be better if I'd been saved as a child.

- It would be better if I weren't so shy......sensitive......solitary......demanding.........aggressive.

- It would be better if I lived out in the country......on a farm.......in the mountains......on the beach.

Do you see how these thoughts can have a snowball affect, making our circumstances seem far worse?

I've changed my self-talk over the years, as my faith in Christ has grown.  But when several difficulties arise at once, it's oh so tempting to revert back to these dead-end thoughts.

I have to make a full stop, and remember that my life, from beginning to end, is a story.  And it's not my story.


I don't write any of it.  Before I was born He knew me.


Jeremiah 1:5
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

Instead of wishing for a different story, I need to remember that my story has the happiest of endings. It ends with me in Paradise--with the Lord!  There's no better ending than that!


Instead of wishing for a different story, I need to understand that it's a privilege to be used by God.  It's an honor to be a character in one of His stories.

Instead of wishing for a different story, I need to rest in His promises, in His wisdom.

Romans 8:28
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.


Instead of wishing for a different story, I need to concentrate on being obedient in this one.  On being submissive and teachable.



2 comments:

franzwa said...

As I child, i considered having a different story, simply because I didn't really understand what's in story. But now I'm more mature than I was as a child, I'm embracing my story. I really like this post because now I'm liking it even more.

Christine said...

Praise God, Franzwa! Thank you for commenting.