Sunday, May 8, 2011

on this Mother's Day

I really am taking a blog break this week, but I couldn't let Mother's Day go by without extending heartfelt wishes to you all, for a wonderful day!  You provide loving support to me always, and I'm grateful. Happy Mother's Day!

I have a Mother's Day message, of sorts, to offer.

Sometimes many things converge at once, making mothering especially grueling.  If you're without much support, the fatigue--both physical and emotional--can be great.  Lately I've felt that.

Nursing Beth to sleep tonight, I appealed to Him:

"How does anyone do this well, Lord?  Help me.  I'm drowning!"

What I heard back from Him was this:   Whatever measure you're willing to pour out, I'll give back to you manyfold.

How much then, am I willing to pour out?  Can I pour my whole self out, for these kids, for this husband?  Am I capable of selflessness?  Can I do it without going into rants and raves--even though my endless chore sweat is unappreciated?

How many times can I wipe the toilet after my sons.....reclean a floor minutes after mopping.....throw in another load of muddied shirts and jeans and jackets.....rehang clothes thoughtlessly rejected and thrown on the floor--after I've spent hours and hours, day and night, washing, drying, hanging and folding?  And all without a single thank you.

How can I remain cheerful when there's only more of the same to look forward to?

How can I call them back to fix their own mistakes--hang, wipe, fold--without condemnation?

Do I rant and rave and condemn because I don't want to repeat my hard work?  Or is that negative sentiment coming from a heart that longs to be appreciated?

His response changed me.  Instead of focusing on how hard and thankless it is, I can choose to focus on Him, and on the filling I've got coming.


 "Whatever measure you're willing to pour out, I'll give back to you manyfold."

No one can appreciate a mother, or love a mother, like the Lord can. We don't labor for our earthly families, really. 

We labor for Him, and through Him.

He doesn't give as the world gives.  There won't be a wrapped box of new pajamas, a box of chocolates, a dinner out.

He will daily refill our hearts will love, our bodies with endurance, our minds with parental wisdom.  He will give right now, for this day, and later too--showing us the fruits in our children, cultivated from our daily labor.

The right now may be an affirming voice:  "I saw how you labored on that floor, and I am pleased.  Thank you."

It may be a filling of the Spirit, bringing immediate joy and energy.

It may be a kind comment from a child or husband, borne from the Holy Spirit in their heart.

I encourage you today, on this Mother's Day, to be in tune with Him.  Recognize that when you're frustrated, it's because you want to be appreciated--not because you want a reduction in workload.

Don't look to those around you for appreciation.

Look to HIM.




2 comments:

Liz said...

Always appreciate your perspective Happy Mother's Day!

Christine said...

Happy Mother's Day to you, too, dear Liz!