Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Finest Moments

One on my lap, one next to me in the easy chair. Freshly shampooed hair filling my nose. Soft cheeks beckoning me to stop reading every few pages and plant kisses. Pretty little legs with knee boos boos sprawled all over me. Giggles and surprises on every page. The beloved exclamation "Read it again!"

This is it. Motherhood at its finest. These moments I'll remember most vividly. Later, I'll want them again...so badly that tears will come.

Ivan the Terrier delights them this week.



Words and Pictures by Peter Catalanotto
Once upon a time there were three billy goats named Gruff. Hey, where did that dog come from?  Is it Ivan? It is! Ivan! You naughty dog! You're ruining the story! Ivan! Get back here! Ivan!


Oh well. I guess we'll have to read a different story.


Once upon a time, deep in the forest, there lived three bears. Oh, no! Sit! Ivan! Sit!..........and so it goes, delighting my four-year-old Mary especially. She can't remember the dog's name just yet, but every night she asks for "that funny dog book".

What a special gift, to be able to write a book that thrills a child. But even more special is the gift we have. Reading book after book to our children and watching them respond with such joy! So rich and special and blessed are these times.

Thank you, Father, for hair in my nostrils....for giggles in my lap....for soft cheeks to plant kisses on. Thank you for the written word....for the vivid imagination....for the delight of illustration. Thank you for all the moments that make motherhood like an earthly heaven. Thank you.


1 comment:

dakpainter67 said...

My name is Peter Catalanotto. It was nice to read how much your daughter enjoys my book, "Ivan the Terrier." All the best to you both.