Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Witness Of His Grace

I have more blessings, but time is short tonight. Little one keeps waking up, which goes along with JRA.


~ One of my great mothering love affairs? Paints, brushes, and the minds and hearts of my children caught on paper, to be saved as a slice of childhood, and a slice of motherhood. Always a privilege.  When I'm an empty-nester, their treasured paintings will be part of my everyday salvation. This Momma finds money for paint, no matter what. God knows my heart, and he makes up the difference. 


My sweet boy turned 8 a few days ago. An aspiring artist, he asked for the fancy kind of watercolors for his birthday. This boy? How he blesses me!

This is tempura paint. A flower, by Mary.

Tempura paint again. A fall tree, sun and grass. By Paul.

Another famous abstract. Poster paint. By Mary.
~ Nursing my fussy Beth today in the rocker, I suddenly laughed out loud. Quite the belly laugh. The funny Boo Mama post I'd read that morning, with the picture of the lodge chair and the backpack and the water bottle--all a scheme to alert these women of nighttime jungle monkey invaders--was too much. I couldn't think of it without laughing. All day. Miss Beth, surprised but delighted at my antics, laughed with me, asking what was so funny. Ouch. Note to self: Don't make nursing toddlers, with mouths full of teeth, laugh. 


It felt so good to see her laughing! It blesses me that she laughs readily, despite her recent life change. Her laughter reminds me of this truth: Grace isn't a change of circumstances. It's a change of heart about those circumstances--a gift of the Holy Spirit. That's why I sit here and write now, as the Holy Spirit's witness. I'm not going to bed downtrodden, from depression over an arthritis flare. I'm going to bed with my head full of blessings. Full of thanksgiving.


Psalm 28:7
The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.


   

No comments: