Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Multitude Monday: Answering Hard Questions

Less than twenty-four hours after his official asthma diagnosis, he peers out the window, envious. Neighborhood kids fill the street.

"Why do I have to be different, Mommy? All these kids can ride their bikes and play whenever they want, and I have asthma. Why did God allow this is happen to me?"

Oh, I see his point. He also has ADHD, an anxiety disorder, a tic disorder, OCD, a fine-motor delay and unusual difficulty with spelling. The three weeks he went without his ADHD medicine during our break from school, were some of the longest days of my life. He needs routine; vacations are not his friend, nor mine. Among other problems his tics came back and the doctor agreed he's not a candidate for summer breaks from Strattera.

He's different alright.

And he's ten years old, seeking to understand.

I've uttered it all before...what a blessing it is to be plucked from the crowd by a loving Heavenly Father, one who works all things for your good, according to His purpose. One who sets you apart for sanctification, for eternity, for good works.

When you're ten, how does it all sink in...become breathe and life even? How can I explain it so that his question becomes: "Mommy, why am I set apart for God, while all these others may perish?"

How do I watch him struggle to take a breath, give him albuterol, oral prednisone, claritan and strattera, and not wish things were different for him? How do I notice the peace in the house when he goes birding with Daddy for four hours, and not wish things were different for him and for me?

source

Son, you Praise Him. When you're praising the Almighty you can't possibly feel disadvantaged. Your soul will soar the very way God intended. While uttering your praise, while worshiping your Father, you will know the greatest peace available on earth. A peace that surpasses all understanding, the way it did for the man who wrote--after losing his son, his financial security, and then his four daughters--"It is well with my soul."


Horatio Spafford (1828-1888) was a wealthy Chicago lawyer with a thriving legal practice, a beautiful home, a wife, four daughters and a son. He was also a devout Christian and faithful student of the Scriptures. His circle of friends included Dwight L. Moody, Ira Sankey and various other well-known Christians of the day.
At the very height of his financial and professional success, Horatio and his wife Anna suffered the tragic loss of their young son. Shortly thereafter on October 8, 1871, the Great Chicago Fire destroyed almost every real estate investment that Spafford had.
In 1873, Spafford scheduled a boat trip to Europe in order to give his wife and daughters a much needed vacation and time to recover from the tragedy. He also went to join Moody and Sankey on an evangelistic campaign in England. Spafford sent his wife and daughters ahead of him while he remained in Chicago to take care of some unexpected last minute business. Several days later he received notice that his family's ship had encountered a collision. All four of his daughters drowned; only his wife had survived.
With a heavy heart, Spafford boarded a boat that would take him to his grieving Anna in England. It was on this trip that he penned those now famous words, When sorrow like sea billows roll; it is well, it is well with my soul.http://www.sharefaith.com/guide/Christian-Music/hymns-the-songs-and-the-stories/it-is-well-with-my-soul-the-song-and-the-story.html

 It Is Well With My Soul

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Refrain:
It is well (it is well),
with my soul (with my soul),
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

Refrain

My sin, oh the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to His cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

Refrain

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

Refrain

And Lord haste the day, when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

Refrain

My son, do not look to the world for peace, for parity, for any truth. None is found there, but take heart...For He has overcome the world.

These words, son, speak truth: Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come, Let this blest assurance control, That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate, And hath shed His own blood for my soul. No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life, Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

Abide in Christ, my son. Read His beautiful, healing Word. Praise Him and lift your hands in worship. He will whisper it. That peace that surpasses all understanding. Stop looking out the window and let your soul feast on that.

source

Praising Him and thanking Him for these gifts today:

~ Husband took all four to the park so I could dust all the blinds, lamps, wall pictures, ceilings and surfaces, then launder all the valances and bedding, and finally, vacuum. We needed an asthma-friendly home, which unfortunately included giving our beloved new hamster away. Peter seems mostly recovered and has only one more day of prednisone.

~ Working with these folks, learning to be more like Jesus. Click over and pray for these children, please?

~ While it wasn't a particularly fun holiday weekend for Momma, we did take the time to cuddle together one night and watch Tinkerbell and the Great Fairy Rescue, which is a wonderful, wholesome family movie with the same theme as Mary Poppins...enjoy your children every day, for your time with them is far too short.

source

~ hearing I love you, Mommy a lot this weekend.

~ kids saying Thank you, Mommy for cleaning the house and all the bedrooms. "How did you do it?', they added in awe as they looked around. That one really made me smile. It didn't occur to them that I only got it done because they were gone. :) It's amazing what Momma can accomplish when she's alone, isn't it?

~ A pediatrician who knows me well and trusts me.

~ being a Momma of four, with two more in Father's care in heaven, waiting for their Momma hugs

~ being a wife

~ fall temps and color right around the corner

~ prayer partners

~ husband off all day on Labor Day

~ grilled squash

~ mercy, grace, peace

~ being set apart

~ Horatio Spafford, his words and faith

~ that a friend was obedient to God and dared to share her faith with me, those 15 years ago

~ that when I asked the whole family at dinner: "Name one thing the Holy Spirit said to you today", everyone answered without hesitation. Praise God! (except the three year old :)

~ that when I asked the whole family to tell me one way their family had blessed them that day, they all answered readily, without much forethought.

~ family dinners

~ listening to my five year old pray

source

 Friends, what are you thankful for today? Please know I'm thankful for you, too. Thank you for reading here.




Linking with Ann today and many other thankful ladies

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are such a good Mama! I love you view of life. SO sorry to hear about the asthma diagnosis. Love the song and story MOVING and POWERFUL! Thank you for sharing it! Saying a prayer for your family now. I am thankful for a spirit of thankfulness that is filling my heart:)