Saturday, February 12, 2011

What can I do? Give thanks!

There were wet sheets to contend with this morning.

I'm used to it.  Regular things like this, that my kids can't do anything about, barely register on my annoyance meter.

Not thinking, I started the hot water in the washer, put in soap, and dumped the load.

I would live to regret my eager housekeeping gesture, at so early an hour.

I am someone who loves a shower and takes it in the morning, no matter what.  I also get dressed down to shoes, because my feet are always cold in the winter, and because.....I just feel better in shoes.  No, it isn't because the FlyLady suggests it.

Husband tries to get up early enough to watch the kids so I can shower before he leaves, on his school mornings, or busy work mornings.  If that isn't possible, I either bring Beth in with me, or put out table activities and strap her into her booster, which she can no longer get out of.  The older children earn some pennies for staying with her while I'm in the bathroom.

I'm usually alert enough to do only dark loads in cold water in the mornings.

My shower, half-way through, turned ice cold, due to the hot water used up on the sheets.  Getting the soap off each area of my body was a most unpleasant experience.  I couldn't just stand in the water and rinse all at once.  That was too shocking.  Instead, I put in one limb at a time, one side of my back at a time, as though I were doing the hokey pokey.

We're having a cold snap here, so it took awhile for me to warm up after this fiasco.  Shivering, I thought of the ladies and mothers in third-world nations, who walk five miles for clean water.  They probably don't ever feel really clean.  Physical discomforts, such as my chills, are a daily reality for them.

Why, Lord?  Why do I get a shower every morning, usually nice and hot, while they have to feel dirty?

Later in the day, I finally stole a few minutes to read.  I read this and this, about grieving, written by Dana, the mother who lost her toddler to the dresser accident.

Why, Lord?  Why is Dana's mother-heart broken, while mine brims with joy--delighting in the beautiful toddler in my midst?

Yes, we know God is just, merciful, loving.  These differences......we just can't understand them.  They don't seem fair, from our perspective.

What can I do?

Firstly, I can make it more just, more fair, by being more grateful...more mindful of daily blessings...never letting complaint dirty my heart.

I am thankful, Lord!

For......

....the chapter in the Backyard Birdfeeder's Bible on economical bird feeding.  We visited a feed store, at the suggestion of the author, and found that small sunflower seeds and scratch corn and cracked corn are reasonably priced, compared to the packaged birdseed bags--which can run $30.00/week for the avid bird watcher.  We are all excited--Peter most of all!  When that boy develops a new passion, watch out!

...my sweet little Beth, who enjoys brushing her teeth and going potty....many times a day.  For fun.  She does it all independently, which is a sharp contrast to her brothers and sister, at the same age. Independence wasn't on their radar at all, at 26 months old.

...my Mary's new interest in drawing.

...money to finally get the drains cleared.  When the water softener runs, water backs up into the tub.  Gurgle, gurgle, gurgle.  This is more complicated than getting the usual bottle of Drano Gel.

...a house still clean.

...the will power to continually ask you tonight, "Lord, help me do what is needful first, before my writing.  Help me put my family's needs first."  I had to pray this so many times, to get through the needful tasks first!  I did the dishes, put on some crockpot navy bean soup, finished folding socks and underwear, put the last load into the dryer, wiped down the table and counters, and got completely ready for bed, in case Beth woke up and left me waiting for a washed face and brushed teeth.

...the reminder to savor this time with my toddler, rather than mourn the baby years already behind me.  You want me to be content always....to notice the beauty in right now.

...the sweet, tiny baby bottom running through my house nowadays.  She's never in a hurry to get that training diaper back on!


May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

No comments: