Monday, February 14, 2011

Weekend doings and Happy Valentine's Day


Saturday morning found us making bird feeders for our backyard.  The kids spread peanut butter on pine cones, then we rolled them in black oil sunflower seeds or cornmeal.  We tied string tightly around the center of the pine cones and hung them from our trees.



Do yourself a favor:  Do this in the morning in pajamas.  Who needs an extra outfit change?




We also cut large circle holes on two sides of milk jugs (you'll find raised circles already on the jugs).  Next, we made two small holes right below the larger ones, and threaded a stick through these two small holes, for a perch.  You can also use wooden dowels.  Lastly, we tied a string around the top of the jug, securing it there by putting the lid back on.  You'll find a far better explanation and a diagram here.


We placed a small amount of seed in each one to start.  It usually takes a couple weeks for birds to find new feeders, and I didn't want new snow soaking a lot of seed before we even had visitors.

We've made three milk jug feeders so far, placing one in the front yard and two in the side yard.


Next up, egg carton feeders.  We will cut the top off of an egg carton, use a hole punch to punch one hole in each of the four corners, tie a string to each hole, and then tie the four strings together at the top.  Lastly, add seed to each egg compartment, and tie to a tree.

None of these are weather resistant, of course.  The birds will appreciate them nonetheless--especially in winter--and you'll earn yourself some regular visitors.

You can also spread peanut butter on a paper towel roll, roll it in seed, thread a string through the center, and tie it to a tree.

While you're waiting for birds to find your goodies, put stale bread all over your yard.  It might help them come sooner.


The kids looked outside all three windows every few minutes, waiting for birds--taking breaks for all manner of silliness in the playroom.





 My girlies helped me make cornbread on Saturday and again today.  I keep my recipes in a back bedroom to cut down on counter clutter.  Beth, upon hearing me say we're making cornbread again, rushed to the bedroom, grabbed a recipe and brought it to me.  It happened to be the right one, since it was the last one we used.  I had no idea she even knew where the recipes were, or that she paid much attention to my following them when she helped.  She continues to delight me!

Yes, Miss Mary did put her dress on backwards.  :)


We were all delighted this morning to find that our resident squirrels found the teaser bread and seed we put out.  They fought over it and put on quite the show!




The boys seemed to have lost interest in helping with recipes.  My girls are still faithful, though. It makes me smile to have them along side me!  That is, until they spontaneously decide to add water to the mixing bowl--from Momma's water bottle!  I'm learning to never turn my back on the mixing bowl!


Nice paintings produced this Valentine's Day.




 Also this last Saturday, the older kids did a Valentine craft offered at a nature center.  It was difficult--actually making my Paul cry tears of frustration--but they sure are pretty!

These were formed from tissue paper wrapped in pipe cleaners, which were then poked into those spongy flower thingys, and wrapped with foil.)

Valentine's Day gratitude:

- for our penpals, who blessed the socks off my kids with an awesome care package, and delighted me with my own copy of Ann's book!  If only these kids would let me read it!  I haven't been able to get past chapter one (which was a magnificent chapter).


- for hearing my nine year old talk to his stuffed animals as he was placing them on his bed this morning

- for the sparkling delight in my children's eyes, as they found their Valentine bears and their small boxes of chocolate.

- for hearing a thousand times between Saturday and today, "When will the birds come, Mommy?"  I know the longer it takes, the more delighted we'll be when our first feeder friends visit.  We've seen a flicker in one tree and a blue jay in another, but they didn't see our feeders!

- for this luscious honey cornbread and navy bean soup and chili to go with it, these past few days

- for that husband of mine, who keeps meaning to buy me something for Valentine's Day, and for Christmas, and for my birthday.  :) I think it's been a good five years since he's gotten around to any gifts.  Neither of us has gifts as a love language, so I find it amusing more than anything else.  Few people hate shopping as much as my hubby does.  This probably seems strange to some, but no significance comes from gifts--other than thankfulness--if they aren't your love language.

- for God's faithfulness in growing me.  He has spoken to my heart about being faithful in the small things, like performing the chores I don't care for, in order to bless my family.  Now that my littlest one is more independent, and I'm not overwhelmed every second, it's time for some serious spiritual growth.  I feel God moving in my heart.  And I'm so glad He times his lessons so as not to discourage us!  Even two months ago, I wouldn't have been able to receive, willingly, these current lessons.


I hope you got blessed today, friends, in one way or another.  :)   Happy Valentine's Day!

I am blessed by your friendship!

1 comment:

Laura said...

You are awesome. A valentine for the birdies? And the squirrels? You are teaching your little sweeties to care for all of God's creatures. That' pretty neat.