Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day 2012



Mother and Child in a Boat, 1892
by Edmund Charles Tarbell


This is my twelfth Mother's Day. My children are so young that at least for now, it's not so much a day to be honored...though my Mother's Day pictures and yard-picked weedflowers are many. One picture was even painted on the floor with feet, not so long ago.


For those of us still in the trenches, where spilt milk knows no holiday, this day is hopefully one of renewed inspiration. 




For no work is harder than this, and no reward greater. Truth be told, we can never have what it takes to be perfect mothers. No mother does. 




So...what is a great mother? One whose sacrifice knows no bounds?  One who's gentle and quiet? One who's ever-present? One who believes in her children and makes them believe in themselves? 


No...though all these endeavors are wonderful. 


I think a great mother has two assets: her prayers, her Bible.


We can't control every emotion, every response. But we can pray and read. We can fill ourselves with Him, and give the gift of Him.





If they leave us wearing Him like a favored sweater, we've made an eternal contribution. Well done, good and faithful servant, the Lord will say.


I found a beautiful poem, but before you read that, I'll say a prayer for us all:


Dear Heavenly Father,


We thank you, Father, for the gift of children. What a precious journey, is motherhood. Thank you for every smile, every hug, every tiny foot to kiss.


Thank you for the heart molding, the soul shaping. May we remember to give the gift of You, Father, above all else. For without you, our children have nothing. May we fill ourselves with you, so we can pour You out. Give us strength, give us focus. May your loving grace prevail in our homes and hearts, each day.


Bless each friend, each reader here. May we pray for and encourage one another, through your Holy Spirit. 


In Your Son's name we pray, Amen

My Mother's Gift
From a large family I did grow,
Through my mom God I did know.
Though our cupboards were nearly bare,
What we had to others we did share.
It took a tin of flour to feed us each week,
Yet half she gave and then my mom’s faith did she keep.
Mom gave half of what she ownded to eat,
Still that tin of flour lasted us all week.
God provided us with food each day,
Giving thanks to God my mother would pray.
A family in need the church did say,
Again my mother gave some of our food away.
With our food to share to church we did go,
But there was something my mother did not know.
The family in need was my family I must say,
And once again God had provided a way.
The gift from my mom is more precious than Gold,
It can not be bought and it can not be sold.
She taught me God’s love each day,
And taught me how to kneel and pray.
This is the gift my mom gave to me,’
I will treasure it through out eternity.
~ Lillian Smith ~
Stockton, California



3 comments:

S. Etole said...

A most blessed Mother's Day to you.

Christine said...

Happy Mother's Day to you too, Susan. I hope the Lord brought visitors and more blessings. Love to you.

Unknown said...

Beautiful poem! I have to say I love that you said "I think a great mother has two assets: her prayers, her Bible." I know I am struggling in many areas right now but if I can get that right I have accomplished a lot. Thanks for the encouragement!