Saturday, January 30, 2010

praying for relatives

One of the revelations coming out of my meeting with Pastor relates to the sharing of Biblical truths with unbelieving relatives.  Using terms such as "guard your heart", which is primarily "Christian speak", just drives a deeper wedge in an already precarious relationship.  We don't have Biblical terms or concepts available to us, in speaking to unbelieving family.

I've known for a while that I can't convince an unbeliever to follow Christ.  God himself has to open a heart;  man cannot do such a miraculous thing.  When the relative or friend in question is ready to receive the Gospel, I think God will make it very clear that it's finally time to speak.

This knowledge--that Christian speak has to be avoided--really shed some light.  I hope it helps you in some way.

The best way to help an unbelieving relative is to pray for their salvation, without ceasing.  That phrase "without ceasing" has come to mean, for me, that I must have a system in place to remember to pray, frequently.  For example, I pray for all unbelieving family, one by one, every time I nurse my baby.

Pastor shared that such a system works for him as well.  He once had an unpleasant altercation with a woman who drove a black SUV.  The situation was very draining and upsetting to him and to his family.  So now, every time he sees a black SUV, he prays for that woman.  And wouldn't you know?  He continues to see a LOT of black SUVs.

Some of the people I pray for--including a foster child my sister once cared for--will probably never cross my path again.  But even so, I have faith that the prayer makes a difference in that person's life.

I have no believing relatives save for one of my dad's sisters, who resides here in Ohio.  I often wonder if she prayed for unbelieving family over the years?  She always sends a birthday card to every relative, no matter how distant the relationship.  Did she pray every time she wrote a card, perhaps?  Did I come to know God in my early thirties partially because of her prayers over the years?  I did get a birthday card from her without fail, year after year, even though she didn't know me at all--not until we moved here in 2005.  Who else would have been praying for me, as I grew up?

I am very grateful for her!

No comments: